THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We will end at the Royal I think......not sure which will be our first but i'm sure it will be something small around the KC area (if there is a small one around here).

I'm try to find an enclosed trailer right now or we might have to carry all our gear!!

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a "small" competition to start with. Just pick one that has a convenient date and location. Like someone else already said, the KCBS website has all of them listed. Good luck!!!

Beer, have fun, beer and relax. Stay cool and let it come to you.

There goes Matt giving away another one of our secrets.:-D

He is right you know. But he forgot to tell you to have good recipes and your timing down. Have a goal. Our first goal was to NOT come in last.

First competition, go have a good time and see what it is all about and your #1 goal for the weekend is getting your meats turned in on time. If you do that then you did great! If you place then it is a bonus.

1st Comp

We just started Comp. this past summer. We rolled in and were like...DANG.. we are 'ghetto'! with our 'driveway smokers'. BOTTOM LINE...! 12:30, 1pm, etc... don't matter what the rig is. The judges only see Q in a box. That's what it comes down to...Q IN A BOX. You get crazy, frazzled, overanalytical.

It's BBQ. ENJOY...drink some beer -- share with your neighbor -- and have fun. If the dudes next to you are 'all business' -- move to the next set-up and introduce yourself. Everybody is good people and willing to help.

The guy next to you could tell you 'his secrets' :icon_wink -- bottom line, you still have to cook yourself. AND...if the judges don't like it...YOU WILL!!

p.s. -- did I mention bring EXTRA BEER for your neighbor?

A friend and me just did our first comp last weekend. We didn't do any practice cooks or anything as I didn't know until about the week before that he was still doing it with me and we got everything done and turned in on time. We both had a great time despite the wind and rain and can't wait to start again next year. The one thing for next year though is that we need to be more organized. A bunch of teams had rubbermaid storage bins all labeled up nice and pretty and our stuff was all over the place which made it kinda hectic looking for things. We had 3 tables setup and still didn't seem to have enough room. I don't know what you have for smokers but we had 3 and felt we needed more or at least something bigger to hold all of the meat. We used a WSM, large BGE and a brinkman water smoker. We had 2 butts on the weber, 2 briskets on the egg, 6 racks of ribs on the brinkman and eventually 20 thighs on the egg. These are all kinda small smokers so my buddy is looking to get a char-broil offset which will definitly help or we could just use less meat. Everyone around us was nice and friendly and answered any questions we had. My only regret is that we started so late in the season, now we have a few months to wait before we can compete again.

I've only been competing (KCBS) for three years, but here are my pointers:

1) Develop a comprehensive competition checklist. Here's mine. Note the "H" and "L" columns. "H" means I have it, and "L" means I've loaded it in the truck. I use it as a combination shopping/locating and packing list.

2) Build a BBQ library and read, read and read some more. I highly recommend Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue and Smoke & Spice as starters.

3) Develop your flavor profiles and processes (methods and timing). Document these and note any deviations and the results. Bottom line: keep good notes.

4) As others have said, practice is worth its weight in walks.

5) Get out there and compete. Starting in competition is much like getting married or having your first kid. If you wait until you're "ready", you'll never be ready.

I hope this helps,
John

Todd,
when you guys get a schedule in mind look us up and we can at least tell you what NOT to do. we've got that down. ha ha.
If at all possible try to do the North KC comp. and maybe we can get set up in close proximity and be available to answer any questions that come up. You can fire an email at me at chris at dodgecountysmokers dot com.
But like everyone said above just jump in, you'll have a blast.

Back