THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WilliamKY

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I think I may install a rotisserie on my offset cooker. I'm not sure where to drill the holes for the spit. Do I go through the dead center of the cook chamber or should I favor a slightly higher mount? Dead center means the cooking grates will have to come out. How much clearance between the spit rod and top of the cook chamber do I need? Also, with a rotisserie do the coals have to be under the meat or can I still keep them in the firebox? This may be a better mod for my UDS. Thanks.

Last edited:
What ever happened to the OctoForks guy? Haven't seen him on here in quite a while.

Rotisseries are at their best when they can provide a mix of direct IR heat and indirect. The benefits in an offset are much more limited unless you have a problem with uneven heating.

Rotisseries are at their best when they can provide a mix of direct IR heat and indirect. The benefits in an offset are much more limited unless you have a problem with uneven heating.

Yeah I'm thinking this might be a better mod for my UDS. The offset is the perfect size though but I can see where the meat farthest from the firebox might cook uneven. Also I dont like using coals in the cook chamber.

I have a rotti installed in my offset,its slightly higher thancentre to allow for the fire intake.
I do use coals in the bottom of the cooking chamber rather than relying on the firebox.
Mind you I use the kettle as a spit a lot more.
Also have a dedicated spit for lambs etc

Back