Need rotisserie advice from the Brethren

WilliamKY

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I think I may install a rotisserie on my offset cooker. I'm not sure where to drill the holes for the spit. Do I go through the dead center of the cook chamber or should I favor a slightly higher mount? Dead center means the cooking grates will have to come out. How much clearance between the spit rod and top of the cook chamber do I need? Also, with a rotisserie do the coals have to be under the meat or can I still keep them in the firebox? This may be a better mod for my UDS. Thanks.

Last edited:
Have no idea about on the offset, but I used a uds for my Octoforks. Worked well with using small splits.

Attachments

• 20170529_104610.jpg
    20170529_104610.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 79
What ever happened to the OctoForks guy? Haven't seen him on here in quite a while.

Rotisseries are at their best when they can provide a mix of direct IR heat and indirect. The benefits in an offset are much more limited unless you have a problem with uneven heating.

Rotisseries are at their best when they can provide a mix of direct IR heat and indirect. The benefits in an offset are much more limited unless you have a problem with uneven heating.

Yeah I'm thinking this might be a better mod for my UDS. The offset is the perfect size though but I can see where the meat farthest from the firebox might cook uneven. Also I dont like using coals in the cook chamber.

I have a rotti installed in my offset,its slightly higher thancentre to allow for the fire intake.
I do use coals in the bottom of the cooking chamber rather than relying on the firebox.
Mind you I use the kettle as a spit a lot more.
Also have a dedicated spit for lambs etc

Back