Need help with some timing of a chuck roast & veggies!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Alright so... I have a 4.5lb chuck roast.. I wanted to smoke it in the smoker and then pan it on top of potato's and carrots.. and possibly other stuff.. not sure what else right now..

Here's the problem.. Every single time I try to make it perfect.. one of 2 things happen.. The roast gets done and the potato's and carrots still need to cook longer. or the roast gets no where near done and the potato's and carrots are falling apart.

So... How long should I cook the roast in the smoker until I pan it? I assume this will be an IT thing? I assume I'll be cooking at 250 through the entire cook til its done and ready to eat..

My next question.. What else goes with roast, potato's and carrots? Obviously onions.. Looking to make this stretch for a couple days at least! its a real nice looking roast.

I usually smoke my chuck roast an hour before putting it in a Dutch oven with taters, carrots, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms with a can or two of beef broth. I’ll mix a pack of dry brown gravy mix in with the broth before adding. Let it go another couple of hours until it is tender enough to slice or pull. I usually smoke at 295 or so.

I usually smoke my chuck roast an hour before putting it in a Dutch oven with taters, carrots, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms with a can or two of beef broth. I’ll mix a pack of dry brown gravy mix in with the broth before adding. Let it go another couple of hours until it is tender enough to slice or pull. I usually smoke at 295 or so.

This is going in a large lasagna pan with lots of taters and carrots. and this doesn't tell me what I need to know.. it sounds like you smoke it for an hour.. then put it in the dutch oven.. I need times/temp everything.. cuz i hate when my tators get mushy. lol I don't think one hour on smoker and couple hrs in the dutch oven is gonna be enough. lol this thing is almost 5 lbs.. Just wanna nail this one.. Roast/veggies is my weak point when it comes to cooking.. I never can get it right.

But yup.. Mushrooms, gravy mix.. all sounds like a good thing and I'll probably wanna get it to pullable state but keep the meat chunky and not shred it like pulled pork

Also I'm thinking at least 2 hours in the smoker.. then pan exactly how you say.. But I mean i just don't have a clue lol

Last edited:
I did this a couple week ago, don't remember exactly but I think 3-4 hrs in the PBC then I paned it with onion, mushroom and celery and foil cover for an hr or so then added the taters for another hr or so they were perfect and the meat was tender about then too.

Good luck and post some pics

Oh, it was in the PBC so temps were around 275-300

yeah I'm guessing I can get by with adding all the veggies in at the same time at 225-250.. I don't really know.. I botch this meal 90% of the time.. I don't think I've nailed it at all.. hopefully tomorrow will be it.. Also gonna have some dessert and a special post.. So be prepared!

This is going in a large lasagna pan with lots of taters and carrots. and this doesn't tell me what I need to know.. it sounds like you smoke it for an hour.. then put it in the dutch oven.. I need times/temp everything.. cuz i hate when my tators get mushy. lol I don't think one hour on smoker and couple hrs in the dutch oven is gonna be enough. lol this thing is almost 5 lbs.. Just wanna nail this one.. Roast/veggies is my weak point when it comes to cooking.. I never can get it right.

But yup.. Mushrooms, gravy mix.. all sounds like a good thing and I'll probably wanna get it to pullable state but keep the meat chunky and not shred it like pulled pork

275-300 smoke temp. Most chucks I get are around 3lbs. You could smoke the meat 2 hours or so or go to 180 or so IT. Before I had a Dutch oven I used aluminum pans and tight foil. I found it usually was probe tender around 200-205 IT. Never had a problem with mushy taters.

275-300 smoke temp. Most chucks I get are around 3lbs. You could smoke the meat 2 hours or so or go to 180 or so IT. Before I had a Dutch oven I used aluminum pans and tight foil. I found it usually was probe tender around 200-205 IT. Never had a problem with mushy taters.

yeah.. that's what I was thinking.. Looking around 180 IT before adding it to the veggies.. I'm gonna just go with my gut here.. and we'll see how it goes.. I say I'll smoke the chuck roast.. and finish it in the oven.. because I've got a couple high heat things I wanna cook for dessert (secret gotta wait til tomorrow to see)

Back