THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Seems every time I do my ABT's they come out just okay. My Bacon never seems to get really crisp or if it does the Peppers are not quite ready. What temp/time should I be doing? Indirect/Direct?

Want to do some this afternoon and would like to get them right this time.

Thanks!

Indirect at about 230. I do them for about 3 hours. Maybe a tad longer.

If you are having a persistent problem, have you thought about precooking the bacon a bit?

Eric

DSC03286a.jpg

I'll bet you're spending too much money on bacon. :shock: Go for the cheap stuff, I mean really cheap and really thin. It stretches better when wrapping and crisps up nice too. I pre stretch it on the tray before starting to wrap. I cook around 275° indirect.

DSC03288a.jpg

DSC03296a.jpg

DSC03265a.jpg

DSC03286a.jpg

I'll bet you're spending too much money on bacon. :shock: Go for the cheap stuff, I mean really cheap and really thin. It stretches better when wrapping and crisps up nice too. I pre stretch it on the tray before starting to wrap. I cook around 275° indirect.

DSC03265a.jpg

Yours always look good! Can I ask how long you cook them? Also, when you cut yours like you do are you cutting down the center and getting 2 halves or just cutting a smaller section off and discarding? I guess it would depend on the size of the pepper, right?

The cook time is usually 90 minutes or less depending on the size of the pepper. I do lower the heat when I have really big ones. I just split them in half as equally as I can. Some folks will put the halves back together before wrapping.

dsc03273aL.jpg

I have cooked them very raised direct, but you really need to keep an eye on them.

DSC06305JPGa-1.jpg

Get a load of this boy, it's an Anaheim.
DSC02405a.jpg

Back