Need help with mounting a cutting board

I thought about the magnet idea too, I just didn't know how well they'd hold.

That actually isn't a horrible idea. I know Harbor Freight and other places sell the small "rare earth" magnets. These things will hold pretty strong. The biggest trick would be attaching them to the board. If you are truly only planning to use one side of the board then you could probably just use gorilla glue to attach the magnets.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html

image_15851.jpg

The original plan was to build the shelf support out of angle to hold the cutting board like colonel suggested, but decided it would make more sense to have the expanded metal on there as a permanent shelf.

Remove the Angle Iron shelf.....flip it over and reattach it. Then you will
have the permanent shelf, and you can drop the cutting board into the
recessed area of the Angle Iron.

Remove the Angle Iron shelf.....flip it over and reattach it. Then you will
have the permanent shelf, and you can drop the cutting board into the
recessed area of the Angle Iron.

The shelf isn't angle iron anymore, it's square tube. And unfortunately, my friend who knows how to weld is going to be out of town for the next two weeks, so I'm trying to get everything finished without having to weld.

Can you have him flip it when he gets back then just set thw board inside of it. Go with the magnets and for now or the stud post.

That actually isn't a horrible idea. I know Harbor Freight and other places sell the small "rare earth" magnets. These things will hold pretty strong. The biggest trick would be attaching them to the board. If you are truly only planning to use one side of the board then you could probably just use gorilla glue to attach the magnets.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html

image_15851.jpg

I would think that you can inset these into the cutting board and be able to use both sides. The magnets should work through the cutting board.

Well, tis a little hind sight but I would have welded angle "upside down" so the board sad down in the shelf.

I did one and wondered the same thing. A buddy who's a welder asked why I didn't make it with the angle pointed up...He's paid to think of things like this.
He fixed mine. NOW... I can lift it out to wash, and it don't slide.
It's the best answer.

The rare earth magnets have me intrigued. I like the idea of inserting them into the board so I can use both sides. Plus at $1.49 it's not a big expense (even if they are on backorder).

Back