Need feed back on the ABS Pit Boss

arab476

Found some matches.
We are looking at going pro very soon, and we love our custom stick burner but it weighs a ton (almost) and we want something we can load In a toy hauler. Most of our friends use stumps or pellets but we want to stay close to stck as we can. So please give us input on the ABS Pit Boss!!! Thanks for the help

Outlaw BBQ
Alabama

Last edited:
The only team I know that used one was Lee McWright who used to cook with his late wife Bobbie as the Music City Pig Pals. I don't think Lee competes much any more, but he still cooks in Nashville and I think he's an ABS dealer, so you might want to ask him your questions. Web site is at http://www.pigpals.net/

I looked at the Pit Boss at one time, and it has a couple features I like: A rotis is always a plus if you can stand the loss of cooking space, and having an adjustable damper between the firebox and cooking chamber seems like a brilliant idea to me as it theoretically gives you the ability to control the fire separately from the cooking chamber.

I've never used an ABS myself though, and the fact that such a damper is so rare makes me wonder how useful a feature it really is. I can say that I have inspected the ABS models up close and they appear to be well built.

We used a ABS Pit Boss for about year and half. It was a great cooker and well built. We had a difficult time getting the timing and temp down for a competition. Also the racks can be tight if you have large briskets and large butts. We also used the Cube that ABS makes. The Cube I feel is better suited for a competition. We have since sold the Pitboss and moved on to a Deep South GC28

Thank you for the comments, I have emailed lee but we may put this off and stay with our stick burner and add a vertical pellet like FEC

Back