Need an idea for a Wedding Rehearsal BBQ

davidf

Hi All. I've been smoking for a few years - never as often as I'd like however. Work seems to get in the way.
My son is getting married next May. He and his wife want a low key wedding. The reception is being catered - focus on pulled pork and chicken - with the sides.
For his rehearsal dinner he wants to put something on the smoker with dad (I'm feeling really good about now!!).
He thinks there will be about 40 people at this dinner (lots of out-of-towners).

So the big question - what to smoke? Pork and chicken on wedding day so we're thinking beef of some sort.
Brisket? Clod? And how many lbs would i need to smoke to feed 40'ish people?
I'm open to all opinions, suggestions. Include rubs if you have something you like.
Thanks in advance.

If it is going to be the only protein, plan on 1# raw weight per adult. Briskets around here tend to average 14# so you're looking at 3 briskets.

Oakridge BBQ Black Ops rub is amazing on brisket, or you could just go with the Texas standard of salt and pepper.

I'd do brisket and then apps. Pork belly burnt ends, bacon wrapped jalapeno thingies/Atomic buffalo turds. Salmon is always great too on cedar planks and tri-tip is another good option for protein.

BBQ two days in a row would be too much for me. Not saying it would be for you or the crowd you got coming, but something to consider maybe.

For my brothers supper we just grilled a bunch of burgers and hot dogs in the back yard. Had any and all fixings, and set up a build your own burger or dog bar.... Shrimp cocktails, salads, tons of chips and dips also, I thought it was great. Also, manning the grill could save you from some boring conversations perhaps. :-D

They have a point, plus what if your BBQ turns out better than the catered BBQ...

Since there will be a lot of out of towners, how about cooking up some local classics. Maybe some good Walleye, grill up some Jucy Lucy's, head over to Cheesehead land and get some good brats.

The GROOM stated that for his rehersal dinner he wanted himself and ole Dad to put something on the smoker.

"For his rehearsal dinner he wants to put something on the smoker with dad (I'm feeling really good about now!!)."

Groom gets the rehearsal dinner, bride gets the wedding.
If he wants it to be a joint project between father and son, who am I to try and offer suggestions otherwise. Groom's choice on this one!

Brisket would be a good long smoke that will provide conversation opportunities between father and son that will most likely be remembered forever.

Last edited:
"Brisket would be a good long smoke"

Is the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding?

Not trying to talk you out of brisket, but it sounds like a busy couple days to throw a brisket in the mix.

Simple: Leg of Lamb

It's killer on the smoker, grill some veggies and serve with an orzo salad-done.

Depending on the crowd, and dress. Maybe something that isn't too messy?
Or just go with your son's favorite?
Also depends on what you have for cookers, and time.

Some people just live on chicken, I'd say have a couple breasts on standby if you go beef. They cook up quick if you need to.

Plenty of time to plan.

BBQ for both rehearsal AND wedding?

Maybe do prime rib and chilled shrimp or something for rehearsal? But that sounds like it would be better than the wedding dinner.

The GROOM stated that for his rehersal dinner he wanted himself and ole Dad to put something on the smoker.

"For his rehearsal dinner he wants to put something on the smoker with dad (I'm feeling really good about now!!)."

Groom gets the rehearsal dinner, bride gets the wedding.
If he wants it to be a joint project between father and son, who am I to try and offer suggestions otherwise. Groom's choice on this one!

Brisket would be a good long smoke that will provide conversation opportunities between father and son that will most likely be remembered forever.

Agree completely. Give your Son what he wants. Who cares if the guests have to eat BBQ twice. It won't kill 'em.

I like the idea of leg of lamb and the chuckie Could do some apps- shrimp and scallops This way you can also enjoy the party

Daughter and new SIL got married a few weeks ago. Diesel Dave (brethren) did brisket and yard bird for their wedding meal.
The wife and I made bison/brisket meat loaf (10- 2+lbers/2 gals of brisket gravy) for the reception the next day. Very big hit!
15lbs of bison/12lbs ground brisket was my estimated ratio.

It has since been requested for future meals. Pricey, but for a wedding, worth it.
Just a thought.

Back