need advice first time smoking chuck roast

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm smoking two Chuck roasts for supper tonight. I researched it before I went shopping and everywhere I read said they took around 6 to 7 hours. I'm shooting for 190 internal instead of 200+ because I don't want to pull it. I want to be able to slice it and it be juicy. I'm basically wanting to cook this similar to a brisket. I'm a little over three hours now around 235 to 240 degrees in the smoker and I have an internal of around 145. They are hanging on meat hooks in a PBC style UDS. I told my wife to expect them done around 7 but I'm wondering would it be best to wrap at some point or just leave them hanging until they meet the internal temperature? I have enough hooks in the meat to hold it all together so I'm not worried about it falling.

Last edited:
I would. You only have a couple hours till you wanted to eat. They will hold fine if they do end up finishing early

What temperature would you wrap for beef Chuck roast? 160 or higher? it is now 4:05 p.m. and I'm not sure my wife's going to be home till around 7. So I don't want to get done extremely early

Okay, let me work through the IPA haze and actually pay more attention. Didn't realize what timezone you are in so thought it was closer to when you needed to eat. I wouldn't worry too much about what temp it's at before wrapping. It would be more a matter of how long it had been getting smoke and if I was okay with that -- and when I wanted to eat.

I've never cooked on a UDS so not sure I'm right but from what I've read they have a pretty strong smoke profile so even at three hours you probably have a decent amount already. I'd rather have the food done early and hold it than have everyone sitting around waiting. The rest is usually a positive anyway. I think you probably could go another hour and be okay on the timing. Personally, I'd probably wrap either now or about half an hour from now but again, that's based on preferring not to run the risk of being late with it being done.

That's because I have been late a bunch of times -- and in fact, have a decent chance of it happening again right now on the ribs I have on :oops:

Okay, let me work through the IPA haze and actually pay more attention. Didn't realize what timezone you are in so thought it was closer to when you needed to eat. I wouldn't worry too much about what temp it's at before wrapping. It would be more a matter of how long it had been getting smoke and if I was okay with that -- and when I wanted to eat.

I've never cooked on a UDS so not sure I'm right but from what I've read they have a pretty strong smoke profile so even at three hours you probably have a decent amount already. I'd rather have the food done early and hold it than have everyone sitting around waiting. The rest is usually a positive anyway. I think you probably could go another hour and be okay on the timing. Personally, I'd probably wrap either now or about half an hour from now but again, that's based on preferring not to run the risk of being late with it being done.

That's because I have been late a bunch of times -- and in fact, have a decent chance of it happening again right now on the ribs I have on :oops:

Well I wish I was in an IPA haze LOL. I'm in a Miller high life haze. as far as being late my family is used to that **** because I'm always late with my food LOL.

Back