Need a basic guideline for smoking a pork butt on UDS

You can add a drip pan if your UDS has a lower grate, or just let it drip onto the fire.

I cook at 300 to 325 on my drum and don't wrap. Light charcoal, rub butt while drum stabilizes. Go to probe tender - start checking at about 195. I let it rest for a minimum of 45 minutes (I only wrap during rest) but won't hesitate to put it in the oven at about 150 for several hours for a long hold.

As mentioned, this is a very forgiving cut. If I can do it, anyone can.

I trim all of the 'hard' fat - the fat cap. Butt is very marbled so I never hesitate to trim fat, and still get a juicy product.

I don't foil, rather I wait out the 'stall' which occurs at around 150 meat temp, and again I think at around 188. Waiting until it gets to 190 - 195 is (I think) important.

Pulled Pork is very doable and the UDS is great for it. I leave 16 hours for the cook, and have a Stoker temperature controller so I can get some sleep !

No need for them fancy pancy lectronics on a UDS to achieve set and forget temps.

Thanks for the great info. Picked up a 6# Butt for my first cook in my new drum this Sunday. What are the pros and cons of wrapping with foil?

All of the above. When the bone pulls out or wiggles easily its probably good. The resting is important. Ive started resting mine for an hour or more and its more moist. Also I slather on the yellow mustard before I put on a rub. I experimented and still experiment with the rub and let it soak in for as long as I can,preferably overnight. Im from South Carolina and love the mustard sauce. Though the mustard slather is really a transport mechanism for the rub. All is optional of course,except about 5 or 6 hours in the smoke. The taste is your own.

I generally only wrap after I take it off to rest. I place it in a cooler,cover with towels, and let set while I get everything else ready.

Thanks for the great info. Picked up a 6# Butt for my first cook in my new drum this Sunday. What are the pros and cons of wrapping with foil?

Pros: Wrapping with foil keeps moisture in and speeds the cook a little. I usually don't wrap a pork butt or shoulder. I do wrap brisket, especially if I'm doing just a flat that doesn't have a thick fat cap on it.

Cons: It can be a bit of a pain, you use a lot of foil, with my UDS the lid is open while I pull all the meat out and wrap it, so it heats up and I have to play with the air flow for a while to get the temp back where I want it. Not usually an issue if you are cooking only 1 butt. However I often do 6 butts in the UDS, so it takes a while to get them out of both levels.

Back