NBBQA Conference 02/22-25/2012 San Diego

I signed up for the MBN judging class, and am going to review the KCBS judging class too. Bringing a couple friends who want to be CBJ's. Anyone else taking the judging class?

I wanted to take Plowboy's cook class, but couldn't be in two places at once.

All the information about the NBBQA event can be found on our conference page here. Just click on the registration brochure link for complete schedule, price and sign up information. We're also still looking for a couple more teams to cook for the People Choice Awards on the final day of the conference (Feb. 25). Just click on the Cook Team Sign Up for more information. If you have any questions about any part of the conference, just call (888-909-2121) or email (nbbqa@hqtrs.com) us. We hope to see you all in San Diego!

Master of Disaster BBQ will be there doing PC on Saturday, stop by and see if there are any cold ones left...

Does that mean the other days will not be open to the public?

Unless they've changed the process since I was on the BoD it's not open to the public except for Saturday (and it looks like a $20 fee for Sat).

It's a member conference, with numerous tracks to follow and lots of speakers. I'll leave it up to those that have attended recently if the cost of going was worth it.

In the past, they have to have huge setups by manufacturers and vendors, but it's gotten smaller and smaller.

Maybe some details from the last few years from someone who went will be forthcoming.

Just a quick point of clarification. The entire conference is open to the public, although the topics would be pretty advanced for general consumption. NBBQA members do get a discount on the fees; however, anyone is welcome to register for the conference.

Just a quick point of clarification. The entire conference is open to the public, although the topics would be pretty advanced for general consumption. NBBQA members do get a discount on the fees; however, anyone is welcome to register for the conference.

Just to clarify, open to the public means you have to pay a fee to attend. Nothing is free?

I will be there cooking Santa Maria Cowboy style for the "Caterer's Showcase" on Saturday. I may be seen walking around at other times. Come by the "Caterer's Showcase" and look for the vintage Santa Maria BBQ pit and a bunch of dutch ovens hangin over the fire. Harry Stewart from Great American BBQ in Alameda and myself are teaming up for old school Santa Maria style. We will be serving our famous "Gossipin Beans" The beans are pleasant to your face---but they talk behind your back.

Find me at the conference. I just might have a few bags of Bitchin' Beef Rub and Perfect Pork Rub. Get them without shipping! And I will be cooking in the People's Choice event on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you all!

Mista,
Please do be sure to hold a bag of each for me, as we discussed yesterday. I don't want to miss them!
Thanks so much.

We really had a great time at the NBBQA conference in San Diego! Learned a lot and got to hang out with some great folks! Thanks to Tops BBQ for hanging and helping out with the People's Choice. And a special shout out to the Friday Night Brown Likker and Bologna Crew. We really enjoyed you all!

We also had an awesome time. It was great to see Bigmista, Tops BBQ, and various other Brethren milling about. We served Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler, and Dutch Oven Rice Pudding as we did Dutch Oven demos throughout the day. We served Tri Tip, Santa Maria style Poquito Beans, Santa Maria style Garlic Bread, and Banana Pudding for the Caterer's Showcase. Cooking with Great American BBQ's Harry Stewart was awesome, and thanks to Denny for the help with slicing. We drove 1440 miles and never left California.

Oh yeah, I think that's a good idea!
I was there...with my wife and three boys....we had a great time!
Did you go on the bus tour?
I was there with my 9-year-old.....he's a BIG fan of BBQ.

Back