NB Bandera firebox refurbish-with pics

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
I didn't know if this should go in the Bandera 101 or not, but I am posting it here.
Here are a few photos of my NB Bandera partial refurbish. I bought it new about 12 years ago at Academy Sports. I have never had a great place to put it, so it stays outside on the deck under the eaves. Earlier this year, I pressure washed it and noticed that 1 pair the shelf brackets on the inside of the chamber and on the close side of the firebox were eaten away at the bottoms. So I could keep going for the Summer, I cut out the bad brackets in the firebox and bolted an angle in. I used some stainless eye-bolts in the chamber to support the water bowl in place of the rusted off brackets. Also, the expanded metal on my grate disintegrated (my fault-I forgot and left ashes in it all winter) and the middle wall on the firebox side had rusted through and/or was thin-this was the worst part. The rest of the firebox is still pretty solid, just the 1 end was bad. The baffle that I made 5 years ago was showing it’s age, so while It was off I decided to replace it too. When I got ready to take it apart, all 4 of the bolts in the bottom of both chambers came apart and were still in good condition which surprised me. I ended up torching the 6 bolts that held the 2 chambers together, as there was not much left of them.

I got some new ¼” high-tensile scrap at work that was already bent with lips on it to use as the firebox end. It had come in bent wrong so they scrapped it. It had a few holes, but most were where the cross-chamber cutout was going to be. I did have 1 large hole through a curve that I had to patch. I found a nice piece of ¼” scrap already bent with a curve to use as a baffle. Also new-it comes in as a spacer and is cut out after a welding operation. I carefully cut out the bad firebox end with a grinder to use as a pattern. I welded the new end in. I had hoped that I could just do a butt weld all the way around, but just could not get the old thinner stuff to seal to the new ¼” up the sides without burning holes, so I used a piece of angle in 1 corner and a piece of square stock in the other. For some reason the bottom went fine butt welded without burning through. Not the prettiest welding I ever did, but it was square and it sealed. Should last me a few more years until I can save up for something better. While I was there in the firebox, I cut out the remaining 2 grate holders in the firebox and welded in a piece of angle opposite the other. I welded up the holes that left and then I painted the outside some nice Rustoleum high-temp black. For the new baffle, all I had to do was cut it off to length and drill holes. Last night I took the grinder and cut off the old expanded metal from the grate frame, and got a new piece and welded it on. As a side note, for those with Banderas that have never done the grate and the baffle mod-DO IT! It makes a huge difference in how it operates. I have a good Tel-Tru thermometer with 5" dial. I recommend it highly. I can see from across the yard what the temperature is doing.

I put it all back together with some stainless bolts. I used carriage bolts for the firebox so that the ash pan will sit level. Don’t know why, but that has always bothered me. I built a nice fire to season it last weekend. I need to build a fire on the new grate before I use it, but I’m not as concerned about it as I was about seasoning the new baffle and the end plate. Hope to use it this weekend and cook some good stuff. I have penny sample rubs from Oakridge and got my weed torch yesterday-won't need that lighter fluid in the background any more!
IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1753876 said:
Looks like it has cooked some great meals. Nice idea on the water pan holder.

Thanks! I read your thread on restoring yours-very impressive work. How is the shelf holding up? Mine (as shown in the middle photo) caught fire this year. Before that it was just black. I would like a different shelf, but I haven't found anything that I thought could take the heat. I wish I had your lid-mine has been rusty from day 2. I would like to sandblast it both sides, but worried there might be nothing left.

Yeah! It looks like it's time alright. Got to keep these Bandera's going! That's a big azz thermometer you've got there. jb

Yeah! It looks like it's time alright. Got to keep these Bandera's going! That's a big azz thermometer you've got there. jb

Yes I like the 5" dial. It is the Thomas Jefferson signature of thermometers, you can read it from far away without your glasses.

Thanks! I read your thread on restoring yours-very impressive work. How is the shelf holding up? Mine (as shown in the middle photo) caught fire this year. Before that it was just black. I would like a different shelf, but I haven't found anything that I thought could take the heat. I wish I had your lid-mine has been rusty from day 2. I would like to sandblast it both sides, but worried there might be nothing left.

The shelf is still good. How did you get the cooker so hot it burnt the shelf? My FB has already started to peel again, I think it is the nature of the beast. :wink:

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1754355 said:
The shelf is still good. How did you get the cooker so hot it burnt the shelf? My FB has already started to peel again, I think it is the nature of the beast. :wink:

It happened on my last cook this Summer. I think it just got dry after 12 years of being outside, and so being closest to the firebox it finally just smoldered from the radiant heat off the firebox wall. I wasn't doing anything I hadn't done many times before when I noticed it smoking.

Back