NASCAR "BBQ Shootout Series"

I get it. I work for a marketing company who works on behalf of companies/brands like Prilosec to organize events like this. It is about using a venue and something of public interest to generate product/brand awareness. Being a BIT (I'm on the IT side of our business.) behind the scenes I understand how something like this would come about. The money comes from the the CPG and they call the shots. They care less about BBQ and more about their product/brand. They shape the event based on their perspective, not ours.

It could be worse, I guess. At least they are working with KCBS so that our organization gets some promotional opportunity. That American Bass Anglers series decided to go another direction and just use our rules and system without even consulting our organization. There should be more outrage about that, IMHO.

I'm happy for everyone who got invited. There are several friends in that list, and I'm happy for them. Because NASCAR related events were mentioned by MMA at the banquet, I thought MMA and KCBS were more active in working this deal. Under that assumption, I would have hoped that they would be working for more inclusive opportunities. According to Merl, this wasn't an MMA gig. I don't know how this came about, but I wish the series and everyone success.

Wonder if they are going to need any judges. We will be there for the races this weekend anyways.:-D

Hot-Nas Kookers
Humble TX

IMO to see this in a negative light is a little short-sighted. How can exposing competition barbecue to hundreds of thousands of people in a weekend be bad for our "sport" or whatever it is we call it? I don't get it...

I'm with you Rub.

This is the kind of small thinking that restricts the growth IMO. The "What's in it for me?" attitude. KCBS didn't dream this up to screw the little guys. They simply reacted to a good opportunity.

I helped these guys to make the best of what they had to work with and while I chose not to attend this one I am rooting for it to be a big success. With enough high profile events like this maybe more guys would get real sponsors and then there'd be more events like this and more teams would be there and they'd get more sponsors and so on.

But that's just the way I look at it.

I've been told there are some very unhappy teams at this event and that some almost picked up and went home. 9 teams are 1/2 mile from turn in while 3 are are steps away. 9 teams are stuck in no mans land some trying to vend and make money while 3 teams are at the front gate licking their lips with the thought of the thousands of people that have to pass them.

Sold the Klose a little too soon, eh?

You'll have to see my new 8-ball RV at Oinktoberfest... :biggrin:

Yeah, I guess I'm Busch League now.... :roll: Me and my Backwoods Piglet....

Hopefully we'll see that new RV at Roc City Rib Fest and Boston Hills BBQ Fest!

I'm with you Rub.

This is the kind of small thinking that restricts the growth IMO. The "What's in it for me?" attitude. KCBS didn't dream this up to screw the little guys. They simply reacted to a good opportunity.

I helped these guys to make the best of what they had to work with and while I chose not to attend this one I am rooting for it to be a big success. With enough high profile events like this maybe more guys would get real sponsors and then there'd be more events like this and more teams would be there and they'd get more sponsors and so on.

But that's just the way I look at it.

Here's a look at it from a small guy with small thinking: This BBQ Series doesn't represent a true blue KCBS comp where you complete an entry application, send it your check, and compete fairly and anonymously against the rest of the field. It is a show for elites, based on an undiclosed criteria for participation.

No one can debate the exposure that NASCAR brings to the table. If this is about entertainment and showmanship, in similar fashion to the All Star BBQ Challenge on Versus a few years back, then fine - present it as entertainment and vending. That show definitely brought exposure to our sport. (I don't remember who won - I remember learning from the competitors, and the bantor and comments of the competitors during judging). It was fun to watch, indeed. It did not represent our sport.

What this BBQ Series is not, is an accurate depiction and presentation about what the KCBS is or what a sanctioned competition is. Any time there's an invitational without a qualification process, the KCBS has to expect some dissent among its membership. Afterall, this excludes the general membership, while at the same time is supported by the membership's dues - all under the precept that this is all for our benefit.

Afterall, this excludes the general membership, while at the same time is supported by the membership's dues - all under the precept that this is all for our benefit.

I can't say for sure but I would guess that KCBS isn't supporting this at all with our dues and they're probably making a few bucks.

I can't say for sure but I would guess that KCBS isn't supporting this at all with our dues and they're probably making a few bucks.

I had a few Jack and Coke Zero's last night.... mostly Jack. :rolleyes: I've dismounted the high horse.

I rescind my comment about the dues being used. And yes, KCBS is probably making a few bucks at this.

To be clear - I don't have any problem with promoting the show.

It is my understanding this is a Competitor Series contest that isnt even sanctioned. They are looking at sanctioning within the guidelines of the CS the other contest. The people who helped put this together need a congrats! KCBS will get there logo to many more people. Congrats to the organizers, teams who helped in Lakeland guiding them and KCBS. I am sure since Carolyn Wells is at the event any problems will be worked out!

Arlie

Good for the ones there!!!

While our name was thrown around, we did not get the invite. I am happy for those that did. After talking to Tommy yesterday thats ok. Its not the best orginized event and sounds like they have a lot to learn about putting on a competition. Hopefully it will lead to bigger and better things for all of us when it comes to competing with bbq. Best of luck to all of them out there.:-D

For the last 2 days a few of the Nascar programs have done small segments on the shootout series. Yesterday on nascar now they interviewed Richard Childress and he had some knowledge talking about Pork was more carolina and beef was texas . I was disapointed that they only showed the area and did not go near the cooks. Right now on Nascar raceday on Speed channel they just did a segmanet talking about it and had Tuffy(cool smoke) set up in the backround. They talk about how the que is free and they interview Jeff Burton and he says his favorite is Mike Davis, The "tool" rutledge who is interviewing jeff burton spent more time talking about the color of jeffs car and other non sense.

Does anyone know who won the BBQ event in Richmond today? I have looked everywhere and I hear nothing but crickets. Should it be this hard to find out who won?

John

There wasn't a contest at Richmond, just 2-3 teams doing the Prilosec thing. There might have been a people's choice judging though.

Thanks, Ray. I was under the (obviously mistaken) assumption that there was a contest at each of the event dates. I appreciate the clarification.

John

It was 3 teams. Mike and Debbie Davis (Lotta Bull) Tuffy Stone (Cool Smoke) and a team from Chesepeake VA. She has competed for 13 years. I did not catch her name or her teams name. I for one am interested in seeing where this goes. I find it ironic that 2 years ago at the KCBS Convention in KC, it was mentioned " they want to make competition BBQ like NASCAR." They make it like NASCAR and this sport/hobby will get real limited on teams, because some of us will not be able to afford it!

Back