Myron Mixon's Class, Awesome

Cooking a whole hog to perfection is a skill that must be learned .Those of Us fortunate to be born in the rural part of Eastern NC probably learned from Our Daddys and Uncles .Open pit and burn barrels .Constant instructions on where to place the coals and how to prep a hog .That's the way Myron learned and glad to see Himm pass it on through classes .

I don't do the beauty pageant circus so it would be a waste of money for me after 30 yrs of burning wood & cooking meat I got it covered.

If by beauty Pageant you mean MIM competitions, I do not do those either, I do KCBS. However I was not born and raised in a BBQ traditional family and was not passed down the skills and teachings on how to smoke a hog. Seeing it up close and personal (along with all the other aspects of meat prep for KCBS style events) was priceless. You can read and discuss on forums and its one way to learn, seeing is just another way to learn. Different strokes for different folks. I'd venture to say most people with 30 years experience are not looking to go to a class and its not geared towards those people. I was ~30 when I got into BBQ, I figured waiting til I'm 60 would be a bit late :becky: This forum, his class, and other resources have helped me come up to speed in both the backyard and out in KCBS land.

I respect what is taught in class stays with you, but I would be curious if you learned a lot more than what you already knew and if there were things you would never have learned had you not gone.

Definitely learned things I did not know and I suspect I would in time learn most through experience, research, and time. Not often you get a chance to learn from a professional. The experience dump was awesome.

I needs ta know, you mean to tell me he has more in his head than is available here??

Yes and no, I think over time and research you can find most of what he does technique-wise and recipe's here and there and everywhere, but that's the point of the class, to have someone with tons of knowledge teach you hands on. No matter what knowledge is bestowed upon you here, as excellent as it may be, is not even close to the master teaching you in person and doing it hands on with you. Watching him do the techniques he is teaching and them doing it yourself under supervision, for me anyway there is no better teaching method.

I don't do the beauty pageant circus so it would be a waste of money for me after 30 yrs of burning wood & cooking meat I got it covered.

After 30 years of Q experience you probably have your own techniques, methodology, and recipes for producing excellent Q, me not so much, so it was very benificial to me. I'm not sure I have 30 years left to gain that experience. :laugh: Even though I will never compete it was quite informative and great to watch how he prepared his boxes for the competition. He was extremely anal about it just as if he was turning them in for real. He and his whole team worked just as if it was a real competetion. It was quite interesting to see it all in motion.

I'm sure part of what you pay for is the experience of the class itself. The food, socializing, ect.

Experience can be a double edged sword. Just cause you've been doing it forever doesn't mean you're been doing it right. I'm younger and have seen plenty of old timers who have been left behind.

Experience can be a double edged sword. Just cause you've been doing it forever doesn't mean you're been doing it right. I'm younger and have seen plenty of old timers who have been left behind.

Shhhh. Don't bring logic in here. :) There's no risk for those that stay on their porch thumping their chest. Way to much of a chance to get that bubble burst if they actually went out and did a comp.

I'm sure part of what you pay for is the experience of the class itself. The food, socializing, ect.

Well I think a significant part of what's right or wrong is subjective of the people your cooking for. But having said that, Myron did say that he is changing things up constantly to keep up with the ever changing Q world. Sometimes cooking methods but definitely flavor profiles and presentation.

The socializing was definitely a plus as well, made some new friends and now have emails exchange so we can keep in touch and share our experiences and bouce things off off each other.

Another thing that I thought was amazing is Myron actually said that if we had any questions when we got home or went to put what we learned into practice to just email him and help would he us out. Think Emeril does that after one of his cooking classes????

"If you want to know how good your BBQ is start charging for it."

know who said this?

I think working as a pitmaster in a successful place proves more than a cheap plastic trophy.

know who said this?

I think working as a pitmaster in a successful place proves more than a cheap plastic trophy.

LOL good point, not acurate but good. Don't know who said it, Myron?? Whom ever said it obviously never ate at Tennessee BBQ up in my area, they've been in business for 20 years and their Q is average at best, and it ain't cheap!!!!!

Not much for the cheap plasic trophy but the $50000 grand that comes along with it ain't all that bad.

I guess this finally puts to rest the whole "is Myron really a jerk or is it just an act for TV" debate. Personally, I'd love to attend one of his classes even though I have no interest in competition bbq. Even if just to say I met the man and learned a couple things. I'm glad you had a great time Quint.

Thanks I have a certificate to his class Just need to get the rest of the expences Where did you stay

Wife came along and we stayed at the Times Past B&B within walking distance of Myron's house about 1/2 mile, real nice place. Not much at all in the area, the downtown is desolate, all run down and empty store fronts. There is a place in nearby Perry that got mixed reviews.

I stayed at a off the highway type hotel in Perry, GA for just a bit over $100/night. Was fine, quick and easy drive to his house. Don't recall which hotel, some national chain though. Nothing fancy, did the trick.

know who said this?

There is some truth in that quote (not your pitmaster inference) . However, my team is only a top ten (at most contests) team. When I sell my product... I get $100 for a brisket, $60 for a butt, and $40 for a rack. Actually been thinking about raising the brisket and butt prices.

Too bad I cannot win more plastic trophies. Maybe you could teach me something.

^^^^I'm not trying to speak the truth, just for myself.

I would love to do a comp. I priced it out at well over a $500 weekend. Too much for me

From personal experience I can say this. There's a difference between being successful and being good. I have been mediocre my whole life and am still waiting to be found out.

First things first.....I'm jellie.

But, thank you for giving such a nice review. I can feel your excitement and appreciation of your experience.

Second....come on guys. Lets keep this on topic. Every once in a while things ain't all about you. Sometimes it's like Myron's on screen character was taken from a few folk's every day character.:heh::heh::heh:(and yes it takes one to know one :razz: )

I guess this finally puts to rest the whole "is Myron really a jerk or is it just an act for TV" debate. Personally, I'd love to attend one of his classes even though I have no interest in competition bbq. Even if just to say I met the man and learned a couple things. I'm glad you had a great time Quint.

When my daughter was in high school she did interviews at competitions for the BBQ Central Radio show. One of her first interviews was with Myron right after the first season of BBQ Pitmasters. Needless to say she was a little intimidated. Even though he was very busy greeting people and posing for photographs, he took time out to let her interview him for the show. It certainly meant a lot to her getting such a big interview as freshman in high school. He seemed a genuinely nice guy, and she really appreciated his kindness.

Back