Myron Mixon Beef Rub

I'm curious if anyone has tried his hickory bbq sauce? I made some of that and can't believe anyone could win a competition with it. I was happy when I found the book and bought it, but I have to say that I'm a little disappointed after trying some of the recipes. It's not all bad though.

Couple things.

The 6-7 brethren I sat with can confirm this: when you get to class the first night (meet & greet), you're given a goodie bag. Lots of cool stuff in it. There's also a piece of paper (order form) where you can buy any of his products, and they'll have them bagged up and ready to go on the last day of class (Sunday).

Me... I always overdo it. I bought practically one of everything, and several of a few other things.

I got gallons of his hickory sauce and his other sauces. They're actually meant to be mixed with other sauces and other ingredients. I don't think the books have that: this is one of the things you only know if you've taken the class (or I have given you a copy of my manual, which about a dozen of you have, and have promised not to share).

Can the sauces still win a comp? I'm sure they can.

Some may not like this, but the truth is, competition cooking is a step DOWN from a lot of backyard cooking. Remember, it's one-bite BBQ, and its gotta stand out from a hundred or more entries. So it's laden with salt, and sicky sweet.

I have taken both the JOS class, and Johhny Trigg's class: both men said the same thing. When they make food for themselves, they don't cook anything like the way they comp cook. They don't enjoy it, and have NO interest in eating it.

You want to be a good BBQ cook? Be smart. Add your ingredients to taste.

Your best weapon? A palate you can trust. Taste your food. If it tastes good to you, it's probably going to taste good to others.

Couple things.

The 6-7 brethren I sat with can confirm this: when you get to class the first night (meet & greet), you're given a goodie bag. Lots of cool stuff in it. There's also a piece of paper (order form) where you can buy any of his products, and they'll have them bagged up and ready to go on the last day of class (Sunday).

Me... I always overdo it. I bought practically one of everything, and several of a few other things.

I got gallons of his hickory sauce and his other sauces. They're actually meant to be mixed with other sauces and other ingredients. I don't think the books have that: this is one of the things you only know if you've taken the class (or I have given you a copy of my manual, which about a dozen of you have, and have promised not to share).

Can the sauces still win a comp? I'm sure they can.

Some may not like this, but the truth is, competition cooking is a step DOWN from a lot of backyard cooking. Remember, it's one-bite BBQ, and its gotta stand out from a hundred or more entries. So it's laden with salt, and sicky sweet.

I have taken both the JOS class, and Johhny Trigg's class: both men said the same thing. When they make food for themselves, they don't cook anything like the way they comp cook. They don't enjoy it, and have NO interest in eating it.

You want to be a good BBQ cook? Be smart. Add your ingredients to taste.

Your best weapon? A palate you can trust. Taste your food. If it tastes good to you, it's probably going to taste good to others.

Yep! It's like a caricature and I am not a fan

My book (1st ed) lists 1/2 cup but I have noticed all sorts of inconsistencies in the recipes.

I think his ingredients list itself is fine but the quantities are something you want to experiment with and TASTE it as you make it so you can make adjustments.

So true JM, it's really common sense.

1-Start by using minimal amounts, and add additional seasoning to taste.

2- Write down what you're doing: amounts, cooking temp and time, so you can duplicate success and eliminate failure.

One suggestion. My missus is like the sodium police. I do sneak some salt in, but I've embraced making my food taste good with seasonings other than salt.

Worth trying.

Back