THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I get it. Real pit masters don't need wires and probes and gadgets to tell them when the fire is too hot or the meat is done. Well, I'm just a retired music teacher who likes to cook for his family and friends, and I do need them. Thank you, Workhorse, for condescending to the reality that pit masters cook as many briskets in a week as I will cook in a lifetime, and that backyard warriors like me really benefit by the addition of a probe port. Are you listening, Franklin? Mill Scale?

When I ordered my 1969 in January of 2023 the pictures showed a removable stack damper. The pit I received has a hook welded on that prevents removal. I have no idea why this was changed.

When I ordered my 1969 in January of 2023 the pictures showed a removable stack damper. The pit I received has a hook welded on that prevents removal. I have no idea why this was changed.

My guess is those with the road friendly trailer versions were losing the stack damper due to bumpy roads or pot holes and Workhorse got sick of replacing them for free. If you ever have to remove the stack damper, you can twist that metal flange with force by twisting the stack damper, and then return it to its original position with a wrench. Why remove the stack damper? Not necessary for most, but I have an after market stack damper wind guard that I designed and Patriot Pits refined and now sells. It helps prevent back draft (air pushing into the stack exit on really windy days). JD was initially a doubted the need for it, but just messaged me telling me he’s been testing it for a year and Workhorse is coming out with more improved design that will be an accessory available for sale soon.

nice, I just did some wings myself yesterday but didn't fire up the smoke to do it.

FTR - my sons prefer smoked/grilled wings to fried, I haven't done fried wings in years now

I have mixed feelings about the grease dam. My patio slopes slightly away from the house, so with my current pit orientation grease drains away from the firebox and makes this just one more thing to clean around. If my pit were oriented differently I might be glad to have it.

I didn't see anything about this on the Workhorse website or on numerous YouTube videos and elsewhere. In case you're curious, the stainless handles do spin.

Great thread! Love the pics. How does that handle spin? I posted awhile back so that can I can add one to my grill, but nobody could explain it.

Nice and thick

It was hard for me to get my head around what 3/8" steel would actually be like until we hauled this 875 lb. smoker from the street to the back patio. This is half again as thick as many top backyard offsets and five times as thick as good backyard pellet cookers. I have mixed feelings here, but generally positive. Nothing but thumbs up for what this will do for performance and longevity; maybe a small thumbs down for difficulty in moving the pit from place to place.

My BlueSmoke Smoker is 3/8" thick all over too....one of the reasons I bought it.
Once you get it fired, up, I love the heat retention.

cayenne

I have mixed feelings about the grease dam. My patio slopes slightly away from the house, so with my current pit orientation grease drains away from the firebox and makes this just one more thing to clean around. If my pit were oriented differently I might be glad to have it.

How wide/tall is that grease dam? Looks a tad small, but maybe it's just the photo.

The grease dam is roughly seven inches long and an inch tall at the center. I'm not sure how that compares to grease dams on other units, but to my way of thinking a person would have to neglect cleaning his pit for a long time before anything would spill over.

After thinking about it some more, that size grease dam makes sense considering the size of the pit. I was initially thinking about it from the perspective of my 24 x 60 offset, where I have loaded 10 butts on there, and the bottom rack was only about 65% full. That can make a lot of grease.

Back