My Wagyu Brisket Review/Results (Pics)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Ok I'll try and keep this short and sweet. The biggest thing I learned about cooking Wagyu is I always misspelled "Wagyu" as "Waygu". That is all.............

I guess I'll give a little more info :p. Long story short, it was everything I hoped it would be. I have not been shy about my lack of brisket cooking ability, though I have gotten 7th out of 31 & 13th out of 30 in the last 2 competitions so maybe I just beat myself up :becky:. I will still be working on my choice brisket, but this Wagyu was just awesome.

Cooked fast. About 14lbs after trimmed and it took almost dead on 9hrs. Now for some reason the TnT was running hotter than I normally smoker 260-270 most of the cook and I had trouble getting it down so I said screw it and just ran with it. There was zero stall, which I read is the case most of the time. And it was so tender. I've never had a brisket do the pull test perfectly. The last (& first) competition I judged I got to taste 4 really good briskets that all passed the pull test and mine was right there.

Flavor wise all I did was rub with Bovine Bold. No injection. The beef flavor was much more intense than what I've cooked in the past, which is how it is supposed to be i'm guessing :crazy:. Looking forward to cooking the other this weekend.

Here are the pics.....

I woke up about 7am and fired up the smoker. Got some of our first frost this weekend.
IMG_1923.jpg

Pre Trim
IMG_1925.jpg

More pre trim
IMG_1926.jpg

Trimmed and seasoned
IMG_1929.jpg

Normally the scraps along the sides that I trim aren't any good (with that brown oxidized junk that happens), but this was different. I saved them
IMG_1927.jpg

Then cooked some for breakfast. Very good.
IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

Put it on right at 9am
IMG_1932.jpg

Took 3 hrs to get to 155 when I foiled it.
IMG_1933.jpg

Ok I now have to apologize since when it was done after 9hrs I put it in a cooler and went to my comp buddies house to eat and didn't bring my camera so these next few pics are horrible with my phone and do not show the true color/appearance of the meat.
2011-10-30_19-20-35_148.jpg

Super juicy and tender. Didn't trim off that bottom fat like I would for a competition as I like it there :becky:. Also the new 12" Victorinox Slicer is so awesome. Well worth the $38 I paid on Amazon.
2011-10-30_19-21-43_490.jpg

Very bendy. Also not a super deep smoke ring and I used as much wood as I normally do so go figure, but had the flavor I wanted.
2011-10-30_19-21-02_388.jpg

Time/Temp Chart. I put down the temp every 30mins. Rise is super stead with zero stall.
Temp.png

UNKiX7UE1hQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

You've done something I've kicked around doing for sometime. What's held me back is the price of the Wagyu brisket. Thank you for posting your results, I just might give it a shot.

That looks great, an interesting experience. THe brisket looks very nicely cooked and very tender.

You've done something I've kicked around doing for sometime. What's held me back is the price of the Wagyu brisket. Thank you for posting your results, I just might give it a shot.

Thanks. I of course don't have much experience with this and hope to get to occasionally cook more. I want to still get better at choice and as of right now it would be hard to say that cooking Wagyu is worth the 3-4 times cost of choice. It was awesome though :becky:

welcome to the world of wagyu. simply awesome cut of beef. i've actually been experimenting and have found that ibp and excel choice angus when wet aged at least 40 days past the packaged date is very close to a wagyu, although a wagyu can never truly be replaced

I want to still get better at choice and as of right now it would be hard to say that cooking Wagyu is worth the 3-4 times cost of choice. It was awesome though :becky:
You nailed my biggest concern. Is the taste worth the significant price delta between it and regular brisket.

I still would like to give it a try though, for science of course. :becky:

welcome to the world of wagyu. simply awesome cut of beef. i've actually been experimenting and have found that ibp and excel choice angus when wet aged at least 40 days past the packaged date is very close to a wagyu, although a wagyu can never truly be replaced

I've been wanting to learn about wet aging, seems like a simple process, but I don't have the room to stock that many briskets at what I've read needs to be a very low fridge temperature.

You nailed my biggest concern. Is the taste worth the significant price delta between it and regular brisket.

I still would like to give it a try though, for science of course. :becky:

Right. From a taste perspective for me on my first time I don't think I would do it every weekend. But from a competition perspective if it can help get me into the coinage then it could be worth the cost.

Came from Snake River Farms. My butcher ordered it.

Also I will be in Cumming. Tenacious Q.

What local butcher are you using? I am about 25 min from you and looking for a new one. I will see you in Cumming. We are The Q company.

What local butcher are you using? I am about 25 min from you and looking for a new one. I will see you in Cumming. We are The Q company.

Ragin Cajun Meats. They have a couple of good guys running it. They know I compete and try to help me whenever they can. If you check them out tell them I recommended you :becky:. See ya in Cumming.

-Jason

http://www.ragincajunmeats.com/

Ragin Cajun Meats. They have a couple of good guys running it. They know I compete and try to help me whenever they can. If you check them out tell them I recommended you :becky:. See ya in Cumming.

-Jason

http://www.ragincajunmeats.com/

Right on....I have heard of them...for the Cleveland event a couple of weeks ago we had a hard time finding a good brisket so I did reach out them....he had sold his last packer that morning.. I'll give them a shot at it. I have been using Crossroads Meat Market in Flowery Branch for everything except chicken but the quality of what he has been receiving has been getting worse. Gotta find some good meat for Cumming. Gonna be several really good teams there. I'll come by and introduce myself!

Andy

Back