THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokin30-06

Full Fledged Farker
Okay, I feel a bit of guilt here, I didn't post this the very same day I bought it to share it with the Brethren. :redface:
Thought I was super pumped. And I still am. I had to wait for the wedding and honeymoon commotion to clear up.
I bought this just two weeks prior, with full approval from the wife (then fiance)!!

Here she is, Black Beauty, in all of her $544, less that two years old, glory!

(anyone know how to make these images reasonable in size but pop open to full size with a click?)

primo%20%281%29.jpg

primo%20%282%29.jpg

It had probably been used less than 10 times. There was enough ash in it to signify about 2 uses. It came pretty much stock.
It had a divider plate and the table. All in it would have approached 4x my cost... :clap2:

Without ever using one, I always figured a Primo Oval XL would be ideal for my needs, with the dual zones and whathaveyou.
Now I am learning how to operate it effectively. So far, so good.
I really like how efficient it seems to be on lump.

I have already made my first pork butt. It was a baby sized one (4lbs?), and I even cut a little off to put try in my Big Easy at the same time as the rest was cooking in the Primo.
I left it wrapped in the string/mesh. Do most people remove that?
Pork%20Butt%20%281%29.jpg

Pretty close to done. I didn't take a pulled pic. It was pretty good, but maybe a little dry. IDK, it was my first... Btw, I am divided here, fire on the left, unlit/leftover lump on the right under the drip pan.

Pork%20Butt%20%282%29.jpg

I already bought a cover, now I am looking into getting the drip racks and reflector plates. Do any of you Primo users out there already have a set?
I am sure I will do ribs and such. Do you use something to fill the gap in the middle?

Also, regarding deflector plates, how will a spatchcocked turkey (or maybe two at a time) do? Do the edges cook faster than the middle?

Any other tips and tricks that are specific to these?
Thanks!
John

Congrats! You stole that one.:becky:
I'd like to think it was more of a market based price, he was out in a really small town of 6,000 asking $1000 for a grill. Even if it was $2000 new, the number of anyone willing to pay that much are very few. :laugh:

Back