My very own score! with pron, plus some Primo XL questions

smokin30-06

Full Fledged Farker
Okay, I feel a bit of guilt here, I didn't post this the very same day I bought it to share it with the Brethren. :redface:
Thought I was super pumped. And I still am. I had to wait for the wedding and honeymoon commotion to clear up.
I bought this just two weeks prior, with full approval from the wife (then fiance)!!

Here she is, Black Beauty, in all of her $544, less that two years old, glory!

(anyone know how to make these images reasonable in size but pop open to full size with a click?)

primo%20%281%29.jpg

primo%20%282%29.jpg

It had probably been used less than 10 times. There was enough ash in it to signify about 2 uses. It came pretty much stock.
It had a divider plate and the table. All in it would have approached 4x my cost... :clap2:

Without ever using one, I always figured a Primo Oval XL would be ideal for my needs, with the dual zones and whathaveyou.
Now I am learning how to operate it effectively. So far, so good.
I really like how efficient it seems to be on lump.

I have already made my first pork butt. It was a baby sized one (4lbs?), and I even cut a little off to put try in my Big Easy at the same time as the rest was cooking in the Primo.
I left it wrapped in the string/mesh. Do most people remove that?
Pork%20Butt%20%281%29.jpg

Pretty close to done. I didn't take a pulled pic. It was pretty good, but maybe a little dry. IDK, it was my first... Btw, I am divided here, fire on the left, unlit/leftover lump on the right under the drip pan.

Pork%20Butt%20%282%29.jpg

I already bought a cover, now I am looking into getting the drip racks and reflector plates. Do any of you Primo users out there already have a set?
I am sure I will do ribs and such. Do you use something to fill the gap in the middle?

Also, regarding deflector plates, how will a spatchcocked turkey (or maybe two at a time) do? Do the edges cook faster than the middle?

Any other tips and tricks that are specific to these?
Thanks!
John

Congrats! You stole that one.:becky:
I'd like to think it was more of a market based price, he was out in a really small town of 6,000 asking $1000 for a grill. Even if it was $2000 new, the number of anyone willing to pay that much are very few. :laugh:

Back