THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally got around to starting my insulated vertical build, please do not laugh at my welding, I had never welded before in my life until a couple weeks ago. I figured this would be a great way to learn.

I am only welding a little bit at a time, to keep the metal from warping.

Inside walls are 1/8", exterior walls will be 20 gauge.

Ideas, or suggestion appreciated.
attachment.php

My ONLY suggestion (and I'm no master welder, so take this for what its worth) is check your true penetration on your welds. See the spots where it's heated, then where it isn't? The non heated spots are an indication of a cold weld where it's not really "welded". I would be willing to say that it looks like you have more than enough on those particular supports to hold the grates and any food you put on them, just for future reference for improving your skill, keep an eye on that. Also if you're running a short weld you want to be sure you get a good bond not a short cold weld. (Say, on a leg or something, would be a terrible place for a weld to fail)

Other than that, I think you're doing a great job for just learning, and I like the build! :thumb:

Looks good , my suggestion put some type of hood over the hole coming out of firebox to keep grese out of fire.

Just fired her up (at 1:00 am), to set the gaskets. Did not take long at all to get up to 200. Going to clean it out again tomorrow and season it I hope, still have to insulate the 4 remaining sides but the sheet metal is all cut.

I learned a lot, the biggest mistake I made is welding the iron in to hold the racks before framing with square tubing. I had quite a bit of warpage and when I got to the doors it shows.
Luckily, the racks are still level, and looks like it will work good just wont be very pretty to anyone with welding skills.

Will post some more pics soon.

My ONLY suggestion (and I'm no master welder, so take this for what its worth) is check your true penetration on your welds. See the spots where it's heated, then where it isn't? The non heated spots are an indication of a cold weld where it's not really "welded". I would be willing to say that it looks like you have more than enough on those particular supports to hold the grates and any food you put on them, just for future reference for improving your skill, keep an eye on that. Also if you're running a short weld you want to be sure you get a good bond not a short cold weld. (Say, on a leg or something, would be a terrible place for a weld to fail)

Other than that, I think you're doing a great job for just learning, and I like the build! :thumb:

Great points, I was getting a lot of warping metal, again was working with just 1/8" metal had not framed it yet. So was welding in spots. I did go back and add some welds, and also a lot of spot welds on top of the iron.

I have a lot to learn, but have to say as I got closer to the end, my welding had improved. Still not real good when welding thick to think or thin to thick metal but getting better.

Back