My shiny red new...log splitter!

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Me...I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

My wife...She was just standing there shaking her head...

BGoPWEyl.jpg
yKmGbVll.jpg

Anyways, this is the 10-ton Hydraulic Log Splitter from Harbor Freight, available for a shade under 100 clams right now ($115-20% off coupon).

Very heavy duty. Works well...and I get a little workout (that's what I told the wife). It's a little like the elliptical at the gym if my [very] long term memory serves me.

I'm getting pretty serious into BBQ. I should trade in my axe sometime next year for one of these! I'll wait til I have enough wood in the yard! love harbor freights deals! Nice score man!

Max length log is 18 inches. Min length is listed as 13.5 inches.
Max width is listed as 6.5 inch...not sure why.
But it's very smooth and easy to use. I'm not great with my axe.

Max length log is 18 inches. Min length is listed as 13.5 inches.
Max width is listed as 6.5 inch...not sure why.
But it's very smooth and easy to use. I'm not great with my axe.
You can do very short ones but you have to put in an extension piece of wood to take up some of the slack.

Me...I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

My wife...She was just standing there shaking her head...
LOL, she'll never get it! :laugh:

OMG I was wondering if Harbor Freight carried one so I could afford it. At that price I can add one to my man tools! Thanks for posting

I have this splitter, it works well. It will split larger logs than advertised, much better than a maul. I still have to use a maul to finish splitting almost every log. Good product.

Jack

I have the "fireplace friend" with the foot pedal. If I can find somebody to give me a little $$$ for it, I will buy this one. I didn't think the lever one was worth the difference, but you guys have sold me.

Thanks

Hi All I'm thinking of getting the Harbor Freight 10 ton Log splitter..Just want to know how you guys are doing with it? Any problems? HF Service plan is it needed.
I have firewood that's is 21" long would like to use the splitter to cut them in half.
Firewood is about 3-4" thick was thinking of putting a shorter piece of wood for the length. Does that make sense?
I can also use it to make smaller splits
Thanks DanB

Hi All I'm thinking of getting the Harbor Freight 10 ton Log splitter..Just want to know how you guys are doing with it? Any problems? HF Service plan is it needed.
I have firewood that's is 21" long would like to use the splitter to cut them in half.
Firewood is about 3-4" thick was thinking of putting a shorter piece of wood for the length. Does that make sense?
I can also use it to make smaller splits
Thanks DanB

The longest it will split is 18 " and it can only split long ways to reduce thickness. You will need either a chain saw or a chop saw (dangerous) to cut the splits in half.

Dan, that splitter will only handle 18 inch logs. You will have to trim 21 inch down to 18, you could still use the three remaining inches on the smoker also.

Reread your questions before I posted. You will not be able to cut logs in half, only be able to split along the grain. You will have to use a saw to cut them in half against the grain.

Jack

Hi All So if I put my fire wood that is 3-4" thick across the splitter and make up the length difference with another log, it still won't work? Tried cutting the firewood in half with my neighbors chain saw, didn't work
Might just get it anyway to make smaller splits. HF here has it for $109.00, plus they will take 20% off with a coupon, not bad deal.
PS How are yours holding up?
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
I don't have my stickburner anymore, but for the price I may get one of these. Cause I know I'll have another stickburner someday. That looks good.

It splits with the grain of the wood. It would take a tremendous amount of force to break wood perpendicular to the grain. With this kind of splitter, stacking pieces is particularly dangerous because of the potential of the stacked pieces to pop out and hit you under tremendous force.

Back