THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keale,

Thanks! I've never smoked prime rib before, have been wanting to, but I still mess up pork ribs, brisket, and pork butt!

So I always thought you couldn't be sure the bacteria in the meat was dead until 160-165*, it looks like you're saying 140* is safe? Is this true for pork and beef? Certainly not fowl?

Thanks again!

cmcadams, thanks!

Keale, sorry, didn't mean to hijack (noticed lots of viewers, but no posts), just trying to get some learnin'. Thanks for getting me interested enough to give it a try!

I'll go spend some time at the food handling site.

Keale,

Thanks! I've never smoked prime rib before, have been wanting to, but I still mess up pork ribs, brisket, and pork butt!

So I always thought you couldn't be sure the bacteria in the meat was dead until 160-165*, it looks like you're saying 140* is safe? Is this true for pork and beef? Certainly not fowl?

Thanks again!

Generally the 160-165 rule is for both Pork and Fowl but not beef... (remember you can still get Steak Tar-Tar where the beef is actually raw and served with a raw egg in some of the better places around town)...

Keale,

Thanks again!

The lowest that USDA mentiones for whole muscle beef is 145° (which they call medium rare). So based on that, many of us do break those recommendations. One thing to bear in mind is that during the cook, the temperature of the outside of something like a prime rib is much higher and many baddies live on the surface.

For what it's worth, I call 125°-130° medium rare.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

I'm with Thirdeye... It actually is 165 for beef, too, especially burgers. Raw beef isn't generally recommended, though tartar is the exception, or carpaccio. Burgers need to be 165 because of the grinding... The outside gets mixed all the way through the meat instead of staying on the outside, like with prime rib or steak. The surface of a steak gets plenty hot to get past the 165 mark.

145 is NOT medium rare to me. I cook prime rib to 118-120, then foil and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Roy sorry to jump in so late, but man that food looks really good even this late at night, keep on smokin'. way to go bro.:-D:cool:

Back