My multi function UDS

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I've been cooking on this drum for several years. It has evolved along the way. It is close enough to it's final form that I'm ready to unveil it to the public.

I'll go in chronological order here. It was a rather in orthodox journey.

Brethren ebijack hooked me up with a barrel for cheap. His we're some of the first UDS systems I seen in action firsts hand. I wasn't interested in a uds tho.i was building a rotisserie bird barrel. Fwismoker gave me the idea. A wood fire in an open drum with a rotisserie over top. I just places my Weber kettle ring on top the barrel (Tom helped mod the ring) drilled 4 intakes and dropped in a fire basket.

It looked something like this

After that Keith convinced me to go 007 as he calls it. It's a raised grate that swings and adjusts over the live fire. This whole style of cooking was different than anything I've done.

Here's the fire basket. A ring of expanded metal with a charcoal grate tied several inches up and a handle.

That was that for two years. Best chicken cooker ever I'll say that.

In the last week I have finished up the traditional uds portion of the drum.

I added elbows to the intakes and caps to close them off

For fine controls I added ball valve. The pipe makes it easy to reach.

A 2 inch nipple and cap make up the chimney

Added my old river country therm at grate level

And wheels on the bottom

I added a holey diffuser about 13.5" down and a cook grate 8.5" down. I plan on adding a upper grate with feet that rests on that.

Other than some tweaks and the upper grate, maybe a hanging ring this is about it. All of these systems can be used in tandem or in combination. Wood or charcoal fueled and the fire basket and cooking levels can be adjusted in a multitude of configurations. One of my favorites is a roto cook with the swing grate above.

Thanks for looking :yo:
I'm already looking forward to my next build.

How about we/you cut your top ring off. Then your Weber lid will fit w/o mods. A fire access door might be in your near future also.
I have 4 leg nuts/bolts/washers for your upper grate already seasoned if ya want. And a grate.

A work of art. I love it.

How did you drill the holes for the exhaust?

A hole saw. I like the large exhaust, it drafts well

For the intakes I used a step bit. It was a little to small so I had to reem out the hole some. Next time I'll use a small hole saw but my garage is a mess and couldn't find it.

How about we/you cut your top ring off. Then your Weber lid will fit w/o mods. A fire access door might be in your near future also.
I have 4 leg nuts/bolts/washers for your upper grate already seasoned if ya want. And a grate.

Great Tom. I'm gonna tinker around with this one. Thinking a door and another grate. Once I get a feel for what I want I'm going to build another traditional drum w/o the 007. This drum will stay in the backyard and the new one is gonna take place of the akorn. With an adjustable fire basket and grate system I don't see what it won't do better than the akorn. It's been a fun cooker but as you know it can get lost in the shuffle.

A hole saw. I like the large exhaust, it drafts well

For the intakes I used a step bit. It was a little to small so I had to reem out the hole some. Next time I'll use a small hole saw but my garage is a mess and couldn't find it.

thanks for the info.

Looks good, ninja! I heartily recommend building the hanging rack and 12-14 hooks for hanging meats. You’ll get waaaay more capacity this way, which could come in handy at your competition as then you can vend 12-14 racks of ribs to make back some of your investment and save a few bucks with a case discount. If you do this, I’d recommend borrowing that old WSM to foil wrap finish your best looking 2-4 racks for turn-in. Got a comp next weekend myself and going with a similar plan.

Nice work and a great post, thanks for sharing Steve.

Back