THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LT72884

Babbling Farker
I used Google Sketchup to design a table for my kettle grill. The tile texture thats in the design is just a mock up since sketchup has very very limited textures to pick from.

Im going to use high heat mortar to hold the tile in place and a high heat grout. if all goes as planned, this will turn out nice. never built a table before or tiled so this is gonna be completely new to me.

Have not figured out the diameter of the hole yet because i need the kettles rim to stick about 2.5 to 3 inches above the table so i can use my rotisserie unit.

Attachments

• smoker table 56x32 top.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 top.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 313
  • smoker table 56x32 side.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 side.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 307
  • smoker table 56x32 front.jpg
    smoker table 56x32 front.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 309
Nice picture! I've been thinking about doing something similar. I was thinking mine might include:
1. A tiled space on the left side of the kettle for a starter chimney
2. Space under the table for the charcoal container - I use a Kingsford Kaddy
3. Some sort of fixture on the left side to hang the lid
Also, I think the table surface should be sized for two half-size sheet pans - one for raw, one for cooked.

Anybody have other ideas on table design features?

What's wrong with that woman's face?!?!?!

All kidding aside, it looks like a nice table. I'm in the process of whipping one up, too. I've got a piece of Stainless that was once the door of a commercial grade upright freezer that measures 24" by 68", with a nice rolled edge for the front lip. Just working up the table design to place underneath it, and how I am going to mount the kettle in. Removing the handle is one step I'm not looking forward too (I hate to harm a kettle!). Depending on how it goes, I may make a new tiled dining table for the deck with a smokey Joe mounted in the middle for shtzngiggls. I also have some thoughts on an on-deck fire ring made up of brick and another donor kettle, all on heavy duty casters. Post some pix of your build, I know I will!

For hanging the lid, I was thinking of some sort of small and stout half-hoop that protruded out of the kettle side of the table, that the lid hanger could catch.

Something similar to a slide aside can be hung on the left side. That was my thought last year when I built my table but never got around to that.
The opening, securing, and closing of the lid should be a quick, fluid motion.

I've posted this photo of my table here before. Portland cement based mortar and grout will break down after a while when subjected to high heat. The side where I bank my coals against show some deteriorating of the cement board, mortar, and grout.

George

Attachments

• kt07.jpg
    kt07.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Dangit, you just gave me an idea. I might build something like that to slide my UDS into... Maybe even a double if I build another UDS... Wife is gonna hate you for this one :wink:

Is the kettle held up by it's rim on the lower half, or some other method. I'm doing a big table/work surface to hold a XL BGE and my kettle would fit nicely on the opposite end.

Thanx guys. i will be startin the project after our roof is finished. Im looking forward to it. Ill take pics for you all. Im still in the final drafting stages.

I will have to post a picture of my trailer build here in a few days. I am mounting my performer on the V of the trailer and it is working out similar to this except I am using 1/4" steel for my table top to help with tongue weight.

Hopefully you aren't like me. I use Sketchup to make mock-ups of things I intend to build all the time...and rarely if ever start the build in real life.

Your table sketch looks excellent though.

Hopefully you aren't like me. I use Sketchup to make mock-ups of things I intend to build all the time...and rarely if ever start the build in real life.

Your table sketch looks excellent though.

LOL, hope not. haha

I had it all hand drawn out but needed a 3d program to see it visually. Another brethren told me about sketchup so i went and grabbed it.

Thanx. It took me like 6 hours to draw that because i had no idea how to use sketchup.

I will be keeping the handles on the kettle so that i can take it in and out of the table, plus i have the rotisserie kit on the kettle so i have to have it nest above the counter top bout 2.5 inches. My only problem, i dont know if 2.5 inches below the rim, if thats where the tapper starts. Also trying to draw a 20 inch diameter circle by hand is hard. Thinkin of using the ol nail and string trick.

Back