My first UDS cook was a success; with questions.

AdamB76

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
AdamB76
After pre-seasoning on Sunday, I smoked a rack of BB ribs along with 3 hamburgers on Monday.
Everything turned out great.

So you understand my questions here's my build, I think it's fairly standard. All piping is black iron.

- I have (3) 1" intake holes with 3/4" nipples.
1 of the nipples has a 90 degree elbow then attached a 3/4" ball-valve.
These are evenly space around the bottom of the UDS

- The lid has (4) 1" exhaust holes with (4) 3/4" 90 degree elbow's.

- My charcoal basket is a 5-gallon bucket.
The grate is approx 5" inches from bottom.
Directly below the grate there are about (8) 1" holes for air flow.

- Monday was very warm day (about 60 degrees) for my area and little to no wind.
- I used Kingsford blue charcoal.
- The exhaust vents were left open for the cook. Not restricted at all.

Observation: During the cook I needed to keep (1) intake uncovered and adjust with the ball-valve; leaving the 3rd intake covered.

Q1: This is anal, but my thinking was I would need to cover (2) intakes only adjust with the ball-valve. Does this sound right?

Q2: Should I put small holes throughout the charcoal bucket? It's all solid above the grate. Should I make it like swiss-cheese, similar to expanded metal (but not that extreme)?

I think the 2 are related. Meaning I need more air to accommodate the possible restrictiveness of the charcoal bucket. This doesn't mean my UDS is efficient, it just means I wouldn't be able to get really hot >400 degrees.

I really have enjoyed this forum. Long time lurker.
Thank you for any thoughts and input.

-A

I would add some holes in the basket for sure. I've seen solid sided baskets but never used one. To me it seems it would definitely help keep the coals going more consistently.

For the intakes, the ball valve is too small of an intake to run alone. It just seems too small imo. Before I put pipe intakes on mine I ran 3 1 inch holes half open for 300- 350. And 2 of the 1 inch holes half open for 250-275.

That's half the fun of these things is figuring them out! Just play with different configurations and find what it likes. Pretty soon you will be able to get it to cook at most any temp.

Also the amount of lit coals you add at the start can be used to help dial everything in.

Welcome to the brethren, AdamB76. Happy to have you here. I agree with Dennis in that more holes in the fire basket will only help air flow. I have two adjustable airflow intakes on my UDS, so I will also agree that two (slightly larger) intakes would be ideal. Be sure to post some cook pics.

There’s a reason why they make charcoal baskets out of expanded metal. A good clean fire needs plenty airflow. Put some holes in it!

Welcome to the brethren, AdamB76. Happy to have you here. I agree with Dennis in that more holes in the fire basket will only help air flow. I have two adjustable airflow intakes on my UDS, so I will also agree that two (slightly larger) intakes would be ideal. Be sure to post some cook pics.

As suggested. Here are the ribs I did. I only did a 1 rack; just in case.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 191
I'd not use Kingsford Blue, but a mix of the Kingsford Competition and Lump charcoal, of course with 3 or so fist sized chunks of cherry, pecan, apple.
Ribs look good.

Depends on how deep that bucket is. The PBC is designed with a solid outer rim, when you use the ashpan below its just a small slit around the bottom edge of the grate...

View attachment 167189

Last edited:
A question: is your intake ball valve 3/4 inch "full port"?

I used a flat lid on my uds - had the standard bung (2.5") as the exhaust. Had 3 3/4" holes -used magnets to cover them. Once up to temp, I had no issues running 275 to 300 using 2 closed holes and one about 1/2 to 3/4 uncovered.

I have no thoughts on your fire bucket. The consensus seems to think you need more holes. /shrug

I like a bit more exhaust than you run- 4 x 3/4 holes is not enough (IMO). I find it more responsive, comes up to temp faster if you have more exhaust.

Here is the charcoal bucket.

I'll be adding some small holes up the side bases on the consensus from here.
36fad3118cb330e5f5e90a140611ca8f.jpg
4ef03ee1e4de2932cc4785e878910ef4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back