my first try on the uds!! pron

ok i tried it with 3 probes and the original one was about 20+ degrees high. i am running about 50 degrees hotter in the center than i am with my guage mounted on the side.

well i wrapped the butt and the ribs and cooked for another 1 1/2 hours. they have been sitting wrapped in a cooler for about an hour now. how long can i or should i leave them in the cooler. i just checked the butt and it is still at about 160. thanks as usual.:eusa_clap

I'm out of the lop with the cooler but I would pul and eat after an hour.

yup, i have never had any luck getting it off!!! i usually just get pizzed off and quit trying!!!:confused:
Use the handle of a butter knife to get some finger room underneath the membrane...then use a piece of paper towel to grab it...it should come off rather easily

thanks wood!!:-D well after 9 hours she is still up to temp. i just opened all the vents to see what she will do now!!:confused:

ok i tried it with 3 probes and the original one was about 20+ degrees high. i am running about 50 degrees hotter in the center than i am with my guage mounted on the side.

if you want to try to aleviate this get some perforated metal..make a circular disc with it , same size as your grate
add another rack height somewhere between the fire and food grate(not sure of the height)
make the holes larger near the outside of the disc, this will force more air to go to the sides

Got the temps dialed in yet? Remember Drums run hotter and cook faster. If you are only usind a dial 4" gauge on side it will be 30-50 deg. hotter in center.

i just checked the butt and that thing was at 160 after 2 1/2 hours!!!! aint that a little to fast?? anyway i just wrapped it and the ribs and closed 2 bottom vents and the top vent to try to cool her down a little. i think maybe i should not have used the whole 12 lbs of kingsford. i just started the middle of it but it looks like all of it is burning pretty hot now!!!:confused:

Been there myself :biggrin:

i probably learned more on this cooking than i will in the next year of cooking. thanks everyone, i could not have done it without yall. if any of you see me screwing up, please get on my butt (no pun intended:biggrin:) i can take it!!:shock:

Gotta be a bit patient when removing the membrane. I had trouble the first time but using paper towels is the trick. Just go slowly though don't just think it will rip right off.

if you want to try to aleviate this get some perforated metal..make a circular disc with it , same size as your grate
add another rack height somewhere between the fire and food grate(not sure of the height)
make the holes larger near the outside of the disc, this will force more air to go to the sides

That is an interesting idea. It should also still allow some of the juices to drop through to the fire and smoke back to the meat. The idea sounds sorta like the Meadowcreek offset smoker that has a tunnel for the heat from the firebox to go into the cooking chamber and the top of the tunnel has different size holes, smaller near the cooking chamber to large on the far side of the cooking chamber.

You could do the heat diverter thing with a larger outside ring, like the outer ring of a 22.5 grate so you would not have to have real long bolts to support it. Or just sit the diverter on a 22.5 grate. Other thoughts on how far to put above the charcoal basket?

Just found the other heat diverter idea. That was from JD Mgee. He has the clay saucer thing on a 22.5 grate above the charcoal basket. I could not find how high above the basket he has it set though. I like the idea of the perforated metal tray though since it will allow juices to drip onto the fire. So Wood got any thoughts on material for this? Could it just be the center of a drum lid cut down to about 17" diameter? With the paint removed of course.

Back