THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, you're really not looking for a specific temp. Each piece of meat is unique and will be done at a different temp. You're looking for a certain feel. It takes a little bit to get right, but in general you're looking for your probe to slide into the meat easily, with little resistance, similar to it sliding into warm butter. This can happen at 185, or not until 210. I generally start checking at 190 and check periodically from there.

Thanks a ton. I'm looking forward to giving this thing a go

So I have a potential problem. I have inventory this weekend so I wont be around the house to monitor the meat that much for 6-10 hours. If I got it started first thing in the morning would my gf be able to keep an eye on it?

Basically, when should I wrap in foil or do anything else besides letting it sit and cook?

I try to keep it simple. I do not inject. Rub butt in mustard coat in a good quality rub. Throw on smoker with lump and some cherry chunks. I smoke at around 275-350, Try to keep it around 275-300 i do have some spikes with my setup. Dont open lid or touch except as neccasary to check temps, wait probably at least 4 hours. When meat hits 190 start checking more frequently when probe slides in super easy, Usually about 200 pull it off. Shred meat apart, and save juices, let meat cool a little bit and pour juices back over meat. No sauce, just throw on bun and top with some of patio dadios sweet and tangy slaw.

Also on your questions, I never foil. You could run your temps a little lower than i suggest if your gone so long. Simply have her check the smoker and after about 4 hours check meat temp about every hour or so until it hits the magic temp. If your still at work, throw it in cooler in foil with some insulation, it will hold till you return

Back