THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Joel
So, typical me, after seeing all the Pepper Stout Beef cooks lately, I decided to try my hand at it, but I can't just do it like everyone else, so I have a couple little twists for my tastes.

First, the beef. Here it is, rubbed down with some Kosmo's Texas Beef:

IMG_20150121_223713.jpg

That's the night before, when I got up the next morning (6 or so hours later), I put one more coat on before going out and starting the fire. I got it on, and took her to 165.

While the chucky was smoking, I got the veggies ready. Here are where the twists come in. I used 2 green peppers, 2 onions, and a jalapeno, but also added some sliced shrooms. I love shrooms. I also didn't have any guiness, but had some of this, and I've used coffee rubs on beef before, so why not a coffee stout, right? Also, for some reason we didn't have any Worcestershire sauce (for the first time in like forever - no clue how we didn't have that), so I skipped it.

IMG_20150122_120728.jpg

Here it is, ready to be covered

IMG_20150122_121012.jpg

It took about 3 hours for it to be ready to pull. I pulled it, mixed it all up, and then put it back on the smoke to reduce the liquids (I added another chunk of wood in WSM at this point, to pick up some extra smoke flavor)

IMG_20150122_162040.jpg

Ready to make some sammiches!

IMG_20150122_184656.jpg

And the finished product - Sorry I didn't get a better pic after I took a bite - they were too good to put down! If you haven't ever tried this before, you need to!

IMG_20150122_183104.jpg

Next time, I think I'll use more veggies. They tend to get lost in all the meat, which isn't a bad thing, but with this type of sandwich, I wish it was a little more like a philly steak, and this doesn't have enough veggies for that. Either way, though, this is a winner and will be a staple in my household.

Also, I saved a buck a pound by buying chuck shoulder roasts instead of the regular chuck roasts at the store. Still really tender and delish!

Thanks for looking!

your killing me now I am gonna have to stop on way home tonight and pick up a nice chuck and make that looks good and of course you need good rolls and living not to far from philly pa we have real good rolls.:clap2:

After heating some up for lunch sammiches today, one of the things I noticed is that the heat from the jalapeno is gone. Last night, there was a really nice flavor from the jalapeno that I really liked. Not too spicy, but enough flavor you knew it was there.

I suppose it's possible that what I heated up today just didn't have any jalapeno in it, but I thought that the flavor would have spread through the whole pan.

Looks awesome. I tried this for the first time last weekend and agree that everyone should try it.

Back