My first low/slow cook on GMG Davey Crockett Pellet Smoker

Gadragonfly

Full Fledged Farker
I've had my DC for almost 4 weeks now and this is only my second cook. The first time I cooked some hamburgers because we wanted to cook something on it but it was late. Then we had things we needed to do over the last three weekends so the GMG DC has set cold in the garage. But this coming week we're going to visit my in-laws in Fla and a family reunion on Saturday. We've talked about a bbq cook-off in the past but the only cooker available were the little KOA grills and my husband's cousins have had those full of their food so I haven't had a chance to cook anything. I wanted to get some practice in this weekend so that I'm ready for the battle. Oh boy, am I going to blow the others out of the water! Today we had a lot to do since we haven't been home in a while but first we went on a buying spree. There is a place in Cumming, GA that sells pellets for 20 lbs/$9.99. Since it takes almost an hour to get there I bought 120 lbs of pellets - 2 apple, one peach, one wine soaked oak, 2 hickory. I had bought a package of chicken wings and 3 breasts so I decided to fire up the DC and see what I could do. I am so in love with my DC. Before now I've cooked on a BGE and always thought that was the only really easy way to cook. I was wrong! My DC maintained 250 degrees for 2 hours in low 50's-40 degree ambient temp with occasional gusts of wind.

I marinated the chicken breast in olive oil and Bubba-Q all purpose rub and the wings were marinated in a combination of olive oil, Oakridge Habanero Death Dust and Bubba-Q all purpose rub. I smoked on peach and the original pellets I bought with my grill. I'm sorry to say that I only took pictures at the start of the cook.

Wings and breast on the GMG DC:

By the time the chicken came off it was getting cold and I just didn't think about getting another photo. I can't wait for this next week when I get a chance to cook some larger meats as well as wowing everyone with my wings.

Wings cooking:

I realized I had four wings left over so while not hot you can see the nice color I got on the wings.

Thanks for looking.
Julie

Last edited:
That looks great, I have the Daniel Boone and love it. I live in Dahlonega, where in Cumming did you find pellets for that cheap?

That looks great, I have the Daniel Boone and love it. I live in Dahlonega, where in Cumming did you find pellets for that cheap?

Leonard's Farmers Market on Ga 20. They have a large selection of flavors as well. I didn't get a chance to roam the store because I was with my husband and farmer's markets are not his cup of tea but it looked like the kind of store I could have spent a lot of time and $$ in.
Julie

nice looking food, that's a neat little unit, is it easy to pick up and move?

nice looking food, that's a neat little unit, is it easy to pick up and move?

Very easy to pick up and move - provided you're strong. It weights around 55 lbs. You can't see the handles on the unit in this photograph, but it has handles that also serve as legs. Here's a picture I took the day I got it - sitting on the back of my truck. The legs fold up to create handles.

Leonard's Farmers Market on Ga 20. They have a large selection of flavors as well. I didn't get a chance to roam the store because I was with my husband and farmer's markets are not his cup of tea but it looked like the kind of store I could have spent a lot of time and $$ in.
Julie
What's wrong with this picture? Substitute wife for husband and you could be talking about me.

Really glad you posted! Been thinking of affordable pellet poopers recently. Seeing this one in action is great! Good luck on the cook off Julie!

Back