THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
I was perusing CL earlier this week, and saw a guy offering two Weber kettles AND two smokey joes for $50... for all four! Looking at the picture, I was shocked to see that one of the smokey joes was red. Could it be? Could this guy be selling the rarely seen and much rumored red smokey joe?
I quickly shot him an e-mail offering him $40 for the red SJ alone. (I don't have room for the rest.) We quickly reached a deal, and I had a friend pick it up for me. (The seller and my friend are in San Jose, about 40 miles away.) When my friend met the seller, he said that $40 was too much, and would only take $20. A steal!

Today, my new red super score arrived. It's was pretty dirty, and had seen some heavy use. I started to clean her up, and here she is:

IMG_20130316_154146_885.jpg
IMG_20130316_154143_223.jpg
IMG_20130316_154345_757.jpg

Note the "M" date code from 1990:

IMG_20130316_154214_128.jpg

But then, I was noticing that the surface felt a little rough, and not glassy like your typical Weber. I also saw some chipping, and what looked like heat damage:

IMG_20130316_154333_630.jpg

IMG_20130316_154234_868.jpg

IMG_20130316_154245_198.jpg

Using my world-renowned deductive reasoning, I started to suspect that this might not be a factory original paint job. I did some research over at the Weber Kettle Club. (Side note: Those guys REALLY like Webers.) From what I found there, it looks like red SJs were either (1) made in the 1970s or (2) emblazoned with a Budweiser logo. Clearly, neither of these conditions pertains to my new acquisition. So, I'm now pretty sure that I just bought a good old black smokey joe (with a wood handle, at least) that somebody spray-painted red.

Ah well. I guess I'll use it to make a 49ers mini-wsm, to go along with my World Champion San Francisco Giants Orange and Black Mini-WSM(TM). There are worse ways to spend $20.

They tried to be thorough.

Take a look at the rivet in the top vent. It's a pop rivet. The original rivet would have a solid head.

At least you have a good attitude about it.

$20 for a SJG w/ wood handle is a good deal no matter who painted it red!

BUT, $50 for all 4 was a great deal....sell or give away the others. What were the kettles?

$20 for a SJG w/ wood handle is a good deal no matter who painted it red!

BUT, $50 for all 4 was a great deal....sell or give away the others. What were the kettles?

I would have loved to take all four, but I couldn't get down to meet him, and couldn't impose on my (working single mother of two) friend to haul four grills up to me.

Back