My first bbq competition - I got the bug

dseskin

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Darrel
Hi All,

Well last weekend was my first bbq competition and while this was not a sanctioned event with 11 other teams and each team was paired with a brewery.

We were only given one slow and one quick food to cook and Brisket and wings were on our menu.

I can not explain the rush we got in participating with some professional pit masters while we were the typical backyard entrance.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and given the meats to cook. Being a beer and bbq event the brewery's brought some kegs and the drinking went well into the early hrs of the morning - of which we got no sleep at all and managed to keep going on pure adrenaline

While this was different and the venue had around 750 guests to taste the foods, with the first arrivals at noon until 5pm.

Foods needed to be ready for the guests to sample and the judges hand in was at 1:50 for Brisket and 3pm for chicken - so timing needed to take this into account.

While only prizes were given to first place in each category for the judges the overall prize was elected by the visitors who voted for the best pairing of bbq and beer.

I was informed by the organizer that I did in fact come in third place overall - I am stoked that the guests like my food.

The equipment we used were traeger smokers and a Weber kettle, my own spices and bbq sauce for the wings - personally I think the sauce could have been more spicy but we all learn from our mistakes.

I have already booked for the next event in September that will be a different kettle of fish with this one been sanctioned and all four categories needed to be handed in.

I have attached a few pictures for you guys and gals.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posting

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 237
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 239
  • FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 237
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 241
Congratulations on getting that first contest out of the way, Unfortunately it is all down hill from here. Break out the check book and have fun.
There is no cure once you are bitten except to compete !!

Congrats on a successful 1st contest. Are you cooking Langley in September? If so, you will love it. Angie is awesome and the reps are my local ones from San Diego who fly up for the event

Congrats on a successful 1st contest. Are you cooking Langley in September? If so, you will love it. Angie is awesome and the reps are my local ones from San Diego who fly up for the event

Yeah - Langley on the bypass on September 11th I believe - If you make the event lets try catch up and at least meet face to face

Back