THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey guys. I've been dying to come up with something to post for a couple weeks now. Today I've got a nice cook ahead of me.

Starting my day off with ABT's, A fatty, and a brisket. Gonna have the ABT's for an appetizer. I'm going to be adding a 11lb turkey in the next hour. I might have to do some shifting around with the fatty and ABT's to get the bird on the bottom rack.

I will also be making smoked mac and cheese, and beans. The fatty will be going in the beans thanks to a suggestion by a fellow brethren!

Here's just a teaser picture! There's a chance I will turn this into a Simi-Live cook but I'll probably just wait til the foods done. At least the main course which is the turkey and sides.

20161004_115028_zpsati0x3dz.jpg

On my way

What time does the party start? Sounds like enough to feed a big group.

Nice! I'll bring my plate

Bring some beer!!

So I wasn't gonna do a live thread, but I just added the turkey, and my fatty is done and resting. I'll cook the turkey for 3 hours, then I'll put my sides on the top rack. By the way The fatty is a Jimmy dean maple. Gonna be good in a pan of beans!!

Here's the finished fatty, and ABT's. I guess they really aren't ABT's, I think ABT's have something else other than cream cheese/cheese in it.

20161004_124421_zpssvmablxw.jpg

Here's the cook loaded with the brisket, and turkey. How long should I consider leaving mac and cheese and beans in the smoker? at least 1 hr right? I had to use two sticks of OSB from building the shed to raise the rack a bit the brisket is on to fit the turkey under it. Hopefully using two sticks of OSB won't ruin the food. It's not treated wood or anything.

20161004_125316_zpsjle9o91b.jpg

I love the variety you are cooking. How long will the turkey take to cook and at what temperature?

at grate temp right in front of the bird its 275-300. I'm not really watching temps. I'll prob the bird in 4 hrs and check to see if its done. I'm guessing closer to 5 hours. trying to get the sides on near 3 hrs into the turkey cook. Give them 1-2 hrs to cook. Gettin ready to pull the Peppers out.

Update: Here's the peppers, Gonna let them rest. I"m hoping my buddy comes home soon to try them! Not sure how good they will be cold!
20161004_133542_zpspwqthpme.jpg

Last edited:
Man those peppers are to die for!! 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup of cream cheese mixed together for the stuffing. I might of over cooked the peppers a little bit, but I wanted the peppers to be on the soft side. Last time I tried this they were still pretty solid

I love cooking BBQ! My problem is I do a lot of running back and forwards to the pit! Either going to check my fire, checking temps, checking food. a lot of back and forwards. Don't mind it tho, It keeps me busy. I had a pint of rum but realized I had no coke! Bummer. I'm not much of a drinker anyways!

If you take a plate, you shout take some flatware too- I hate the plastic utensils.

That's some fine looking poppers- I'm sure the rest will be equally amazing.

They make those bacon wrapped creamed cheese filled jalapeños at my HEB fresh every day. I am lazy. I buy these and put them in an oven for 30 minutes @425*. Mmmmmm Not bad with a cold beer for lunch.

Yours will have some smoke flavor which will be even better.

Ok guys I need help. I'm not very good at including sides in my meals, Normally I will cook the smoker food, then while it rests I'll fix sides inside. My turkey is sitting at 118 in the breast at 1 hr and 30 minutes.. I think i'm cooking close to 300 degree's maybe more, maybe little less.

At what point should I start prepping the mac and cheese and the beans? When should I have them in the smoker? I was guessing start cooking my noodles, and having it prepped and in the smoker by 3:30.. which its 2:30 now. That will be 2 1/2 hrs since I put the turkey on. Guessing about 4-5 hrs on the turkey cook

I would figure 1-1 1/2 hrs for beans and mac and cheese. Could also add some fire when the turkey is resting the last 15 mins to help them along

Beans can go as long as 3 hours as long as they start out pretty juicy. Mac & cheese not much more than an hour.

Thanks guys, I'm just now starting on all of that, I still have a lot of time on the brisket, so It really doesn't matter if the turkey gets done before the sides, or the sides get done before the turkey.

Here's so more pictures.

The brisket at 4 1/2 hrs. The turkey 2 1/2 hours.
20161004_150839_zps1pf4wtrm.jpg

20161004_150845_zpsuzvxauxv.jpg

Another hour passes by. I just put on the beans and mac and cheese. The beans has a Maple Jimmy dean fatty mixed in with a little ketchup and brown sugar. They are bushes original beans.

Only problem with the mac and cheese I felt It needed milk on top of the heavy cream. Might of added to much, I also had to use a little cheddar cheese for the peppers, So I couldn't top the mac and cheese like I wanted to but its fine!

20161004_161757_zpsyxzmdrhv.jpg

20161004_161747_zpsv04qdvkv.jpg

20161004_161751_zpspoxkewyg.jpg

20161004_161754_zpscjzyulj7.jpg

Here's the finished mac and cheese and beans. I tried a small bite of both, the beans were farkin fantastic with the maple fatty. (Thanks John!)

20161004_172115_zpsgnkjmymk.jpg

Turkey Pics and brisket pics coming later tonight

Back