My butt is too dark. Help!!

I've done a couple on my Kamado Joe Big Joe (Similar to XL Egg) at 225F, for me it comes down to wrapping the Butt so at the right color. The Butt on average seem to reach the bright cherry color at 150F and 165F. Every Butt a little different.

DeepElemCue,

Are you tracking you internal temp with a Maverick 732 or another probe?

I think your on to something with this. I did a butt last Monday on the WSM. Ran at 275 using Stubbs briqs. Had a pan of beans under the butt. When I took the beans off at the 4 hour mark, the butt had a beautiful cherry red color to it. Temped it for the heck of it and it was at 157*. I let it ride unwrapped till done about another 4 hours. Was very dark, but still super moist and juicy. Used Hickory and Cherry btw.

Hey NOTHING beats a mini butt i'm telling you..lol Something about that small cooking chamber and the drippings going straight down to the coals.

I don't mind a dark bark, but, less powder in your rub will help. Granular rubs give a lighter color. When I remove the paprika and chile powder from my rub, the color is redder. I also use less rub at times, which gives me a redder color, and the meat with the smoke ring shows through.

I prefer the dark bark myself. My butts come out darker sometimes than others. As long as you get the flavor and juice I wouldn't be too concerned...unless it's hurting you in the comps. Unfortunately, I do not not do comps so I would be afraid to offer any advice here.

Back