My attempt at making Apple City BBQ Sauce

I read up quickly on Rice Vinegar and basically see that it is nearly the same but milder. In reg white vinegar just add sugar to mild this out. I think if I was making something like marinated cucumbers rice vinegar would be more important. With this sauce and all the stuff which already has vinegar in it plus the added sugar I don't think it is crucial... (ketchup and mustard both have vinegar). Vinegar is also used in feminine products... which I am willing to bet both Cytherea, Haze and Allie all need daily.

The recipe call for "Seasoned" Rice Vinegar. I didn't notice that until I was making it. I used the soy sauce. It was listed 1st.

Mrs. Pappy liked it. I thought it was kind of mild for my taste.

I also made the Red Slaw recipe from the book. It's not something I will make again.

Its funny... when you make sauces you steal what you like. I remember using this and doing it right as he said. Then I made another batch using canned apple pie filling that I put in a blender with one of the liquids. I liked it better and kept it. No replacing the grated or blended onion though.

In addition, I always convert recipes to "Parts". You will notice that his powders are all in teaspoons. I find that so unlike him I woudl damn near say (hiving tasted his sauce) its a lie. Here is what I do/did. I made a blend. For instance the Garlic Powder to pepper to cayenne is a 3 - 1 - 1 parting. I make it up then add what I want to the taste I like. Cayenne stays as while, as does white pepper. I would expect he has a few ingredients that he leaves out. I get a cinnamon flare when I use the pie filling. I of course mentioned i reduce the brown sugar as well. But the major things I learned from this was how much better bacon bits (cheap) is than liquid smoke (lol). When you are at a contest you can smoke your sauce but making 5-20 gallons of the stuff you need the bacon bits. (OR you can smoke the apples and onions and they peel easy then blend them up)

Notice there is no salt? That salt will come from the bacon bits and soy so I remember using soy now. I also wondered if the bacon bits was 1/3 cup after being pulverized? That makes a huge difference. The way he writes it though it means literally grind 1/3 cups of bacon bits (which will mean you will have less than a 1/3 cup of course).

Back to spices... so once you make your spice blend -- and since transferring teaspoons in to parts relevant to the quantities we have in cups would be cumbersome -- I make up the blend then add the blend in in parts. As I make sauce in 5 gallon increments, I generally used toss in a whole damn cup when I was boiling the liquids then bumped it up after it simmered with the slurries to taste. I have to admit....eventually, wanting my sauce to go beyond Mills "written" recipe I started just dumping in my Podaddy's Butt Glitter Sprinkle, which was low salt anyway, and I had a nice apple/hickory based sauce that was still thin and sweet like his, easy to make in large quantities and had 13 other thingies in there to add some more background profile.

With just about every sauce recipe, generally, unless the pitmaster is just a cruel son of a bitch... the thing that matters is the overall slurry to liquid ratio.

4 Parts Ketchup
2.5 P White Vinegar
2 P Apple Cider
1 P Apple Cider Vinegar
1 P (half soy half worchestershire) thats my opinion on that
1.5 parts Grated Onion
*1.5 Parts Peeled grated apple
*2 P Brown Sugar

Spice blend and mustard to taste but you KNOW if I have my Butt Glitter and Hit Me Fred Sauce around thats going in there instead.

I do not think 2 teaspoons of grated bell pepper was crucial so I added one whole damn bell pepper per 5 gallons which is nowhere near what he writes down.. still cant taste it. LOL

*On the apple sugar thing. Its is simple. If I use a can of apple pie filling blended with apple cider until thin I will nix the sugar until the end IF needed.

Oh Dear God and Black Jesus.... now I know why my sauce is so much better than his WRITTEN version. I hope you all have learned a valuable lesson about getting recipes from World Champions. Remember, when they give it up, they also deflate the recipe a bit for the masses. If you want to see this in nation.... in his book turn to page 59 and read what he says about Wayne Monk's sauce just before he gives the recipe. When a guy lies about water... I bet he uses something else but in that quantity.

You know... I just made this sauce today and understand now why I stick with my Beale Street Red and Wett. I am not sure why I thought this was a hot and sexy sauce. I have gone so far beyond this. I bet Vinny has too. there should also be a special hell for pitmasters that publish a sauce that is nothing like their own. Its okay to give it to someone but when you make it and it suck and you remember the one you tasted by the master himself was better well....

I once compared this sauce to Cytherea. No, it is more like Christy Canyon... with hair. You look at it years later and think... I can't believe I ever had a thing for that sauce.

Okay- No... as I was straining the Gash Dammed (think that was a cursing override think again) mess of a Mike Mills sauce it came to me. I have been in this spot before. The problem is, bacon bits, even when pulverized, expand tremendously when they get into liquids. I have HUGE messes of the damned stuff and I remember making this sauce again WITHOUT pulverizing it and it strained easier and tasted identical. In addition, since I strained the larger bits there is no residue left of irritating pink stuff that made it through my fine mesh strainer.

Problem is... it knocks your whole liquid amounts off. I remember adding Cajun Chef Hot Sauce and then the damn stuff had flavor. I am comparing it to the Mike Mills batch. I also added a substantial portion of Brth BD's rub. After adding the brown sugar (the proper amount in Mike's Batch) and less in my batch where I used apple pie filling, it was getting to where you could use it maybe.

In the end I have to say this sauce is like [edit] taking a girl out and becoming intimate with her in a very personal way then she belches and all you smell is cheap arse fake bacon bits! Which oddly... is better than liquid smoke.

I will add one thing... I also remember this recipe making me smoke large portions of tomato paste until they were umber with smoke so I could throw in some in a pot of sauce later to smoke it up.

Last edited:
Donnie - thanks for doing the revised testing. You saved me time. After seeing my 6 yr old revived thread, I I considered making it but I knew there was likely a reason I never made it again.

Instead, you've got me thinking about a modified batch of Red & Wett.. only made that once about two years ago.. Though, I'd have to buy the right colored Jackie Wilson... unless I finally get down to making the Big Maybelle Candy Glaze that I've been procrastinating about... Danny Gaulden's glaze w/ cherries is good stuff... :wink:

Last edited:
There is a modified red and wett!!! I am not sure but a while back I was going to take all of the dinners drive in and dives... Chris and I were going to analyze them then post them here. Then my wife spilled coffee on my Dell D820. I get tickled about that... all the mods that wanted me to shut up and stop posting (including videos) and the one thing that eventually took me out was a cup of coffee. Phil has had me searching on ebay but after no less than 33 bids for a T60 I still can't get one as cheap as he got withing 20 much of it really.

So back to my Chubby Checker Mod Beale Street Redd and Wett,

Remember Guy went to someplace where they made this lemonade bbq sauce baked porkchops.

The guy basically put whole lemons, peels, seeds and all into a food processor with sugar (which helped break it down) and water. This was strained to make some of the best lemonade honestly I have ever had... but if you strip out some of the liquids in my Redd and Wett and add that.................damn it is stellar!!!!!

Mikeska ALSO uses shredded entire lemons in his sauce as it cooks. I assume they strain it later. The oils in the lemons are out of this world.

Did I mention I did not like Mills sauce recipe? When I taste it I keep thinking, I bet bacon bits would stay dry inside Joan Rivers.

I ate a pork chop and wanted some lemon in my tea and reached in the fridge... there it still was... apple chitty bbq sauce with those pink specs in it.

I fell like the winter warlock with only a few pieces of magic corn.... I used to wave my hand and a thread would get locked. I am getting winded.

Back