Mustard Before the Rub?

Mustard? Absolutely never.

Flame suit on.

Lol. :thumb: Everyone's tastes, preferences, and ways of doing things are all different I guess. I drank the "mustard" kool aid myself. Can't really tell a difference.:confused:

When I use mustard as a slather, about 50% of the time, I will mix some of my rub into the mustard, then slather it on and let them sit for an hour wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge, then I take them out, apply a layer of rub to the mustard/rub slather and put'em on the smoker. I like them better than with no mustard slather, but it could be biased due to the amount of work put into it. I have done them with no slather and just applied the rub and they stilll come out well.. pick your poision I reckon. If I were cooking for a large group I wouldnt go through the trouble of the slather though.

I can understand how you feel since I have had some awful (rub or sauce enhanced) meats that I wanted to spit out. Proper rubs, and sauces should not overpower the meat taste but should only enhance it. That is what your salt and pepper does. As for the mustard, I could cook you some mustard slathered meat and you will never know it had any mustard on it. It's all about ballance.

I cant understand why anyone would put mustard on their meats before BBQ.

For my tastes, I am a back to basics type of cook, I want to taste the meat and the fire. In fact I dont understand all of these rubs, especially the jarred brand ones that were made in some factory.

Why do people want all the "layers" of flavor, isnt it just a cover up?

Ive tasted Que with mustard and rubs. Some of them made me want to spit. All I can think is; man, i wish all of this crap wasnt on this meat. I scrape at it to get it off. And isnt the bark from rubs just fake, crusted burnt spices? Thats not a real bark.

I use salt only and sometimes pepper, black and or red. Never had a problem getting a nice bark with a deep brown color. Certainly not black.

Flame suit on.:p

Spices of all varieties have been used for tens of thousands of years... May not be primitive but that seems like the basics have been around a while. It's not like we're talking phospate injections here.

Ground peppercorns are a spice - what differentiates this for you as being acceptable over mustard ?

Touche' - nice one!

I just try em all. If I read a recommendation from one of you, I'll give it a go (so long as it doesn't sound insane). Can't say I've fallen into a signature flavor for my Q - other than smokey.

I've done layered, slathered, nekked - it's all good! But I've never tasted anything so special with the mustard that made me think this is THE way to do it.

I cant understand why anyone would put mustard on their meats before BBQ.

For my tastes, I am a back to basics type of cook, I want to taste the meat and the fire. In fact I dont understand all of these rubs, especially the jarred brand ones that were made in some factory.

Why do people want all the "layers" of flavor, isnt it just a cover up?

Ive tasted Que with mustard and rubs. Some of them made me want to spit. All I can think is; man, i wish all of this crap wasnt on this meat. I scrape at it to get it off. And isnt the bark from rubs just fake, crusted burnt spices? Thats not a real bark.

I use salt only and sometimes pepper, black and or red. Never had a problem getting a nice bark with a deep brown color. Certainly not black.

Flame suit on.:p

so the guy that loves Trini fod and brought us this recipe;

Oh, make it fresh it is much better.

It is basically a garam masala with the addition of allspice.

GOt this recipe from an old Jamaican cook. She is gone now but I was lucky enough to inherit this.

Get a pan hot of med-high heat.

Then drop in"

6 table spoons of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of cloves
1 Cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon of black pepper corns. (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
2 bay leaves
6-8 cardamom seeds
2 star anise seeds
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon allspice berries

Toss this into the pan stirring constantly till it gets a little raosty toasty.

Then put it into a coffee grinder (one that is dedicated to spices) dont use the one you use for coffee and grind it fine.

Or bust out the mortar and pestle and grind it up for an hour or two.

Great stuff.

I love curry goat.

doesn't understand mustard?

give me a farking break.......

sounds like a whole bunch of layers and a lot more than "meat, salt, fire" to me

^^^^^ What SmokeOCD said :thumb: Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. I have spent a small fortune trying different spices, rubs, sauces, and processes. Some worked for me and some didn't. Nothing lost nothing gained.

so the guy that loves Trini fod and brought us this recipe;

Oh, make it fresh it is much better.

It is basically a garam masala with the addition of allspice.

GOt this recipe from an old Jamaican cook. She is gone now but I was lucky enough to inherit this.

Get a pan hot of med-high heat.

Then drop in"

6 table spoons of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of cloves
1 Cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon of black pepper corns. (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
2 bay leaves
6-8 cardamom seeds
2 star anise seeds
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon allspice berries

Toss this into the pan stirring constantly till it gets a little raosty toasty.

Then put it into a coffee grinder (one that is dedicated to spices) dont use the one you use for coffee and grind it fine.

Or bust out the mortar and pestle and grind it up for an hour or two.

Great stuff.

I love curry goat.

doesn't understand mustard?

give me a farking break.......

sounds like a whole bunch of layers and a lot more than "meat, salt, fire" to me

Yeah, but that's not intended for que. Curry powder is for sauced dishes usually cooked in a pot. The turmeric in that curry powder alone would make bbq meat taste like it has sand on it.

If that were a rub on que I definitely would wish that it wasn't there.

Im talkin BBQ. Im also talking personal tastes, I mean not to offend anyone.

For my taste some of the best que I have done has had salt only on it.

I am around a lot of "pro" que guys that put all kinds of crap on the meat. I just dont need it.

Try it some time. Just put salt on some meat and smoke it up. Try it side by side with something loaded up with rub. You may change your mind.

After all, if someone likes all of those flavors from a rub they can sprinkle it on afterward, that way it wont be all burnt carbon. After that they can sauce it to completely cover up the flavor of the meat.

I slathers everything in mayo...Yummy!

I used mustard when I first started and found out quickly that it doesn't help and makes a huge mess.

Back