THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

souroull

Knows what a fatty is.
Was running late so had the wife run to the store to pickup some steaks... little did i know, all 4 came in less than an inch thick. It was 2 NY strips and 2 ribeyes but with descent marbling.

I thought ok whatever so i toss about 3-4 pounds of lump on one side of the kettle, fire it up with the gas flamethrower i have laying around, and blast them on both sides hoping to get a good crust but at the same time nothing past a medium at most.

The result was edible and donness was ok, but tasted far worse than i had ever experienced.... dry, tough, grainy, with a hint of plasticky/chemical taste.

Thoughts...?? Let's say the off taste was due to the kettle not being able to supply enough air for that much lump on full blast... but 2 different cuts both equally as bad?

Back