Mullet

Can someone explain what an Australian Pine is? What smoke wood does the flavor resemble?

Educate me please.

Can someone explain what an Australian Pine is? What smoke wood does the flavor resemble?

Educate me please.

its a non native tree that somehow got introduced a couple decades ago. the wood is probably the best with a stick burner, because it burns hot like oak, but the smoke is half as mild and burns really clean. :thumb:

Educate me please.
Opps...what southernstyle said!
It actually is not a pine, but called one because the needles resemble that of a true pine. It is now on Florida's invasive species list. The wood is hard, and burns hot and clean, producing a light smokey flavor. Burns kind of like oak.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/casu_equ.cfm

Sometimes called "Biloxi Bacon" around here. I haven't eaten any in a long time but I remember them having a distinct and kinda strong flavor.

.... ummmm, smoked fish dip, mullet smoked with citrus and mangrove (shhhhh...). It's awesome - my dad over on Merritt Island used a old metal refig for a long time until the neighbor lady wouldn't quit whining about it on the side of the house... I use a lil chef that I bought from Bass Pro.

the mullet aren't running here yet, but should soon. I can already smell the smoke!

RMR

When I was growing up one of my uncles had a little bar and grill in Punta Gorda, with a couple of old refrigerators out back set up just for smoking mullet. If memory serves, he mostly used plain old oak, but often times, just whatever he could get. When it smoking, it has a very distinctive smell.
Note: once used for smoking fish, especially mullet, don't plan on using that smoker for anything else. :wink:

I saw this and wondered how q-talk got around to hair cuts. Short on top, party on the side.

I believe the phrase is "All business in the front, party in the rear"...

Not to be confused with drinkin liquor and playin poker!:shock::bow:

I've smoked Mullet with straight lump or added Sea Grape, Hickory or Oak. It's all good with Mullet. NOTHING is better than smoked Mullet!

Back