Moving Smoker (24x36 Shirley)

WhitesideJC

Full Fledged Farker
Does anyone have any recommendations for transporting a smoker up a ramp, into a shed? See the situation below.

We recently had to rebuild our back shed due to water damage from underneath, resulting in us lifting the new shed off the concrete pad. We have a ~5 foot long ramp, perhaps at a 15-20-degree angle (approximately), and I've been storing my Shirley Patio in there to keep it out of the weather.

My wife and I have been able to wheel it in there a few times, but I'm looking for a longer-term solution to make it easier and safer to get into the shed. My son is only 2 months old, so he has at least another few months before he's able to help out.

I'm confident I'd be able to do this with a neighbor, but I'm trying to avoid having to reach out for help every time I want to get the Shirley back inside.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the recommendations. I had thought about a Winch but then I was not 100% sure the optimal place to mount it. Forgive me if this is a dumb assumption, but I had assumed mounting it to the shed itself (on the studs, with some reinforcement) would create issues for the shed, but maybe I'm overthinking that?

I just have this vision of getting the winch in motion and pulling down the entire wall...

How about a block and tackle, mounted low on a 4x4 that's bolted to the bottom plate of the wall and 2 studs beside it. This should give you enough feedback to know when to take it easy.

Good suggestions with electric or hand wench. I would recommend since you have a ramp and a 15-20 degree grade to mount the wench higher on the studs. It will relieve pressure on the ramp and shed wall. I would sit a laser pointer on the ramp and see where it hits the shed wall. That's where I'd mount the wench. Assuming it's not too high.

Start smoking in the shed.

Kidding.... (maybe).

The winch is a good idea, if it's something you feel you can tackle yourself, or don't mind paying someone else to do. If not, I think keeping it covered until you have a patio covering it may be the best option.

Why not just get a small cheap boat cover and leave it outside until your shed is built?

This was my temporary solution in the 9-10 months with a golf cart cover, but I found it wasn't 100% ideal. I live in NC, so lots of humidity, and it seemed like moisture was getting in underneath the cover which led to some spots showing up. Also underneath there was a popular place for crickets to hang out.

I'm liking the idea of the winch - thanks for everyone's help on this matter. I can assure you my wife will appreciate (hopefully) not being involved in wheeling it back into the shed.

My thoughts exactly.

I do overkill in these situations, but I'd go across at least two studs, but from the outside. Sure, might look tacky to have a random 2x4 mounted to the outside of your shed, but I'd prefer winching off a board fastened in from the outside vs. inside, to avoid the screws stripping. of course then you're talking longer screws/lag-bolts and regular bolts. But like I said, I go overkill.

Back