Mom & Pop stores in this crisis

We have a great, independent market one block from our house. It's more expensive than Costco, especially the meat department. But as I posted on another thread, their meat is better, too. Their produce is tops, and the checkout lines rarely have more than a one minute wait.

It so nice to be able to go there and interact with real people, and it's so convenient, that I don't mind paying more.

The local market I deal with is packed with people. Everybody has the same idea - stay out of the big stores. Wally mart has people lined up out in the parking lot because they're limiting maximum occupancy to 50 people.

Not a local grocery store but small business owner pellet grill store. Purchased ~ 300lbs of pellets a month ago and returned the other day to pick up a YS640s for our daughter and boyfriend. There are quite a few things that I could get online but Paul will always be my first stop for bbq supplies.

Sad thing is we are our worst enemy and the cause of our own demise. Pure greed and lose of love for our fellow man. I don't see a way to turn this around either.

I apologize if this is a bit lengthy, but I think this is important for all of us Q cooks. I’ve had a relationship with a small market near us in a rural area outside of Flint, Mi. We came home early from our Florida winter, not knowing what we would find in stores here. Hit the senior hour at Meijer(the big box grocer) when we got back & found it insane. Went right back to Ray at the little market & he had a cooler full of meat. He’s bustin’ his chops to butcher beef, grind sausage & keep the shelves full of what folks need to survive. I’ve made a deliberate effort to tell everyone I know that this small market is a better alternative to the madness of the grocery chains. He has gone out of his way to keep safe practice (gloves, masks & shields at the checkout). Today, i stop to get a few groceries to make dinner. Ray tells me with moist eyes how much he appreciates me doing business with him. I tell him how much I appreciate him being there. He tells me how hard it is to buy quantities, but he’s doing his best to keep the shelves full. I’m tellin’ ya, my priorities have changed. From here on out, I shop Ray first & go to the big box if I can’t get it from him. I would encourage all the Brethren to seek out that little Mom & Pop, keep them goin’ cuz they are keeping us goin’.

Hurumph

Great OP, I've been doing most of my shopping at the little local groceries because they have better stock right now. While the larger stores are out of TP, flour, yeast etc... the smaller stores have managed to keep most of that on their shelves, and offer a level of service the big guys can't. Plus the smaller stores, being less crowded are safer to be at. Of course supporting local shops applies to a lot more than butchers and grocery markets. I've got a few expensive hobbies other than BBQ, collecting vinyl records and fly fishing, and for each of those hobbies there is a great, locally owned specialty shop that caters to what I need. I'm trying hard to support them right now through their "curb side pickup" because I really want them to still be around when all of this is done, although it's tough because my income is down about 50% right now too. The outdoor shop/fly shop will likely be fine because they are a good sized store, have been around and very successful for a very long time, and they aren't deeply leveraged. The record shop is hanging on by a thread though.

Back