Molcajete - Volcanic Stone vs Granite

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Anyone had both? Can you tell a difference? Fajitas today and going to make a guacamole. Found some purple garlic, Vidalia onion and the avocado is always a gamble. Lime
Beer

Edit: avocado is perfect

Last edited:
I’ve got the natural stone from Costco made in Mexico and it’s been great. You have to season it for a while (with dry rice or salt iirc?) and it gets smoother and smoother with use over time and develops a black shiny patina. Good stuff and I paid $20 or so. It didn’t sell so well due to the seasoning required and Costco put on clearance for $6. Bought a bunch of them and passed them out as gifts. Still have 2 new in box sitting in the garage.

Looks delicious. Personally I would use the mortar pestle because the true molcajete is a volcanic stone and as such will crumble off a little grit being hard on your teeth kinda like stone ground corn. Granite works just fine. If you want to cook the cheese sauce and serve then the molcajete is probably better but to muddle I’d use granite.

Found a sticker with really small print attached. Mine is marble. This worked fine for two people. I put a dash of olive oil, Kosher salt, onion, garlic, half a pickled jalapeno, a couple of jalapeno carrot slices and started smashing. Then mixed in avocado. No other seasoning, no hot sauce and wife and me really enjoyed it. Used net zero carb tortillas. All worked out well for a good meal.

Last edited:
That looks really good.

I have a granite mortar and pestle. The outside of the mortar is polished and smooth. The inside of the bowl and the pestle have a rough finish. Never had an issue with gritty food.

I'm probably going to stay with what I've got. Small marble. But I think the bigger volcanic stone are awesome. I see these perfectly ground holes in sandstone type rocks on a couple levels above waterline where the ancients used this same method to grind foods. Still works

Link to ground stone article on Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_stone

I would think the actual old style volcano ones would be best, as that the rougher surface helps in the grinding and breaking down of foods......

You have to season them tho....I have one somewhere around here...you may inspire me to fish it out and play with it again!!

:)

Back