Modified Stainless Bandera Pic

It takes longer to get it up to temp. But once up to temp this baby holds the heat really good. Temps stay pretty constant. Once I got the temp to stable at 250, I didnt have to do much at all. Just kept adding some wood for a nice smoke. I opened the box a couple times during the cook, some to look and once about 2/3 of the way through to spray with olive oil. On my old bandera, the temp would drop and need help to get back up to temp. On this stainless it drops, but close the door and she evens out nicely. I am pretty darn happy with the way it is.

We loaded it in the back of the P truck. Four lifted it in, only two of us took it out. I would guess it weighs in around 300 lbs. From ground to top of vert it is 53 inches. From ground to top of Fire box is 39 inches. Total length is about 48 inches. Will be fire up for another smoke this weekend. Probably another bird. Have some extras for the neighbors.

bbqinNC said:
How well does that P truck float?:-D
That's what I was wondering - I assumed Bayside Mechanical was somewhere in the lower 48, and that this thing got snuck on some C130 for the trip to the islands. Maybe "Bayside" is Guantanamo Bay-side???

RichardF said:
That's what I was wondering - I assumed Bayside Mechanical was somewhere in the lower 48, and that this thing got snuck on some C130 for the trip to the islands. Maybe "Bayside" is Guantanamo Bay-side???

Surely you aren't suggesting that a loadmaster could be bribed?:shock:

Jorge said:
MY dad was a government contractor that was TDY Yakota AFB in Japan in the early-70's. I was a kid and spent the summer with him, bunking in the BOQ. I basically spent my days wandering the base and trying to stay out of trouble. It was amazing the stuff getting loaded on and off cargo planes. The most fun I had was hooking up with the guys that did the weather hop. You would fly out to the middle of the Pacific doing whatever weathermen do, circle and wave to the plane that was doing the same thing from the US and head back.

No, I'm guessing a loadmaster couldn't be bribed :wink:

Last edited:
Load Masters can be bribed. I have spent many tours over seas. I have had lots of things brought in when room was available. I worked for the airlines in alaska, and believe it or not we loaded a guys jeep on a flat and put it in the cargo bay of a B727. Anyways, to solve the mystery, Bayside is a company here in GTMO. Great bunch of guys. They can build anything. I need to get plans to them and they will make my grates also. Can someone send me a pick of the grates everyone is using. I will need to modify to fit my dimensions. I also will be drafting up some special grates for the rotiserrie set up. Anyways, the Navy ran the crap out of me on Friday and I spent half the day today under water so I am off to bed.

fivelombardis said:
sharing hell...thanks for serving our country!

And .... what fivelombardis said :icon_blush: D@mn - knew I forgot something!

Seriously ... be safe over there!!!

Jorge said:

:-D Our 'phoon evac planes (RC-135's) used to redeploy to Kadena with a designated "rattan flight" - we'd use the tankers if they were amenable...one time "they" (SAC weenies) wouldn't play and then wanted "us" to bring back some stuff for them that needed to, shall we say, circumvent customs (our aircraft were exempt from customs inspections...our personal gear had to be unloaded and checked, but not the aircraft) -- we didn't play and next 'phoon evac we all shared the "rattan flight"!!

Quite some time back in my career, I seen some pilots and mechs unload an external fuel tank from an A6 full of live lobsters which were flown across the country from Maine. They had a mess load of them on the deck. I guess they pilot needed to meet his cross country hop, so why not bring back some good food. My understanding is that it was to be used for the Navy Ball. Pretty funny sight though

Back