THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
The wife has been on me to make her some Ramen for a while. Had some time this weekend finally, so here we go!

First, I got a 3 1/2 lb chunk of pork belly from the hispanic market. They usually pre slice it (They sell it in 1in thick slabs, flanken cut with ribs..), but I asked and they had some in back. Got what I always think of as the Tail End of the belly, where the ribs end and meat is a little more uneven...

As you can see... 3 little ribs left...

Removed the skin and scored it deep..

Mixed up a marinade of Mirin, Dark Soy, honey, onion, garlic, chili paste, crushed red pepper, and probably some other stuff. I don't remember.. I knew I shoulda wrote it down..

IN the fridge for a nap overnight..

I also smoked this chuckie.. Mostly for chili, but I let the edges get extra crispy for the dashi..

I used Landarc's recipe for dashi which can be found HERE

Charred the green onions

Put in some nice smoked edges of a chuckie, and some smokey home made bacon chunks...

While that steeped I prepped the belly. Simple seasoning and onto the weber. It was pissing rain all day and I didn't want to get the shirley out..

This is somewhere in the middle of the cook.. The coals under the belly are not lit.. I kept the temps way low..

After 2 hours I started basting with a mix of garlic, bourbon, soy, red pepper and hoisin. Total cook time was around 6 - 7 hours at 225-250. The fat was like farkin' candy.

Here are the little ribs!

I prepped the finishing touches and started the water for noodles.

I had bought some fresh alkaline noodles from a japanese grocery a couple weeks ago and froze them... They cooked up quick. I took about half the Dashi and put it in a new pot, then added yellow miso until it tasted right. Then I added the shiitake mushrooms and shut off the burner. Ladled it up and BOOM!

This did not suck!

Last edited:
looks awesome.

Have you guys ever seen "Mind of a Chef" on PBS (now on Netflix)... I watched the 1st 8 episodes or so... David Chang is a big ramen fan.... interesting tidbits on that show.

Back