Mini WSM Build and First Smoke (also first smoke ever)

fish1sw

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Well, I received all my parts for the Mini on Friday and got to work. An hour later and I had my first ever smoker, with big plans of having a new addiction!

I used plans from Matt_A with a little help from everyone else that put pictures on here from their build (thank you so much for everyone's help)!

img_0558.jpg

Using a jigsaw with a tile cutting blade, the bottom of the pot came out with no problems.

img_0561.jpg

img_0568.jpg

And... On the test run.
img_0567.jpg

And for my first smoke (Sunday), I used a chuck roast because I was scared of messing up and didn't want to pay dearly ($$) for it. It took around 5 hours to get up to the temperature I was looking for and then I wrapped it and let it rest for 3 painful hours. Making a bbq sauce from a recipe I found on the forums killed a half hour.

img_0570.jpg

Plated (my wife who thought I was crazy because we already have a nice gas grill, couldn't stop saying how good it was and already started planning dinner parties around my new addiction....mission accomplished!!):clap:

img_0574.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum, I love it here! Now I just have to decide what I should make next.

If anyone has any questions on my build, please don't hesitate, I'd love to help.

Most excellent! :clap2:

Soooo....I'm guessing you'll be doing this again?

looks great from here. the mini can be rather forgiving so it makes a great prosuct no matter how hard we try to mess it up.

Nice job on the build AND the chuck!! Looks great!! :grin::thumb:

you will havea blast with that smoker. im glad you chose to go with the gold version of the grill and not the silver. I have had mine a little over a year. I have the gold version as well. I also drilled a 1 inch hole at the bottom for more air and ash disposal. I use that extra vent on the bottom to blow air up to the coals if i want them real hot for grilling.

congrats on the build and have fun.

Back