Mini reverse flow update...

I said it a million times, I wish I could do stuff like take.

I have a hard time changing the light when it goes out.

It's a very cool toy...congrats on the build out.

I still havent decided on what I will smoke. I am cutting the grates in the morning and I think I'll season them with the torch heat so I can get these bad boys making some pron!

I am thinking I just thawed some chicken drum sticks and I have some chicken wings. Has anyone Mesquite'd chicken before? I've always hickory smoked birds before so sorry if that sounded dumb.

I'm thinking it weighs between 40 and 60 lbs (guessing) I think I can lighten it by 10-20 lbs by going a little more reasonable on the fabrication. For the prototype, i needed to see if when I wanted to do would be possible. Now seeing it in action, I know for the size, I can fabricate the reverse baffle out of 16ga steel and it would be fine. I also see I could roll my own chambers from 1/8" steel and cut the weight both together in1/2. Everything else is pretty much the way I would do it again except I would want to make the frame from 1" thin wall square pipe. This was something I had laying around which happened to be 1/8" thick. I also have about 4 lbs of welding wire in this one. The next models will have considerably less since I have a better idea of how to make these.

This thing is a tank though! I asked the wife to take a picture of me standing on it but she was busy. I actually jumped up and down on it and it didn't budge! To mass produce, its way over kill.

That temp. gauge looks like the size of a pizza pan next to that thing! Nice job!

How many fatties will it hold?

I have a very similar Mini Smoker and it will hold 2 stuffed 1 pound fatties.
PICT0064.jpg

That temp. gauge looks like the size of a pizza pan next to that thing! Nice job!

LOL! I did try to get as small of one as I could! The probe stuck into the middle of the darn thing so I welded some pipe and the nut it came with to the door to space it out. (Give more room for food!) I also bought her a maverick of her own!

Really, really cool! You going to put something on your Website so we can link to you?

Really, really cool! You going to put something on your Website so we can link to you?

Thanks and short answer yes.

I am trying to line up a slip roll so I can make my own chambers to cut weight and cost. If I can do this, I can list these for one price. If not, then I am not sure what the next option is. These things are heavy and expensive to make and ridiculous in time to build. (I figured I had 40 hours in that thing!) Not sure how I can charge for that. Now in it's defense, It is all programmed to be cut so now it is just a matter of cutting and assembling which should get the time to build down. Also, the first one took a bunch of standing around and staring! lol. I will try to work out a price, (maybe just double the materials) and see where that takes me to build 1-3 more at a time. If that seems to work out, I will keep that. I was hoping to offer a Maverick with the little girl but I think adding another $50 to the price would scare away most so I'll leave it up to the buyer to get one. I just believe in Maverick so much I want to get everyone using one or something similar to learn from.

I think If I were to build this exact one again, I would charge $400-500 which I am not sure someone would pay. That is why I hope to be able to cut some costs to get it into the 300-400 range. That stinkin heavy pipe was $88 alone! It is also every bit of 3/16" thick (I mic'd it and it leans twards 1/4" although my micrometer is junk so I can't tell for sure the thickness) I paid for Sched 40 I think I got sched 60 (because the guy in the back at the big fab shop down the road likes me) :icon_sleepy NOT LIKE THAT.

The lights I think I will scrap and if I do decide to mock lights, I will use red plexi. The LED's I have are prewired for 12vdc and would require a transformer or vehicle to plug into which I think is more trouble than it's worth for just tail lights and maybe a work light.

I would like to take the opportunity to offer to build functional replica's of team rigs. I think this is a neat idea for teams and their fans. Maybe I'm crazy but If I had a big ass trailer I couldn't afford to cook on daily, I would love to cook on a mini replica!

-Brian

Brian, that is farkin awesome! I wonder what Lang would think of it. Have you thought about showing it to them?

Brian, that is farkin awesome! I wonder what Lang would think of it. Have you thought about showing it to them?
No I hadn't. Not sure their interest level. I see them either saying, "Cool! We will take 20 so we can send each sales man out with one to show how our cookers work!" :icon_clown Then we celebrate!

or.. "Nice idea! I will get one of our fab guys to crank a couple out and we can sell them for $100 less than yours with our name on them. Thanks!" :icon_smil Then we cry.

-Brian

Exactly.

I hear that Lang is rolling their own steel now instead of using tanks. I kinda liked the old, round-end, bomb look.

My I suggest ... why not offer this as a kit? Ship out the cut parts and directions on assembly. I know several guys that would love to put this together for me. But would never spend the time if they had to build from scratch.

Ship out the pre-cut parts and directions. Let people get their own cheap stuff like wheels and temp gage.

Or maybe sell a stage one, two and three. Stage 1 has only precut parts … Stage 2 has the chamber rolled and fenders formed and Stage 3 kit is fully assembled.

I’d like to place my order for the first stage 1.

My I suggest ... why not offer this as a kit? Ship out the cut parts and directions on assembly. I know several guys that would love to put this together for me. But would never spend the time if they had to build from scratch.

Ship out the pre-cut parts and directions. Let people get their own cheap stuff like wheels and temp gage.

Or maybe sell a stage one, two and three. Stage 1 has only precut parts … Stage 2 has the chamber rolled and fenders formed and Stage 3 kit is fully assembled.

I’d like to place my order for the first stage 1.

That definitely wins most original suggestion! I like it. I could possibly sell this and the KEG smoker the same way. hmm... Nice!

OK! Final Pron from the build until I get something cooking on it tomorrow.

All her stainless parts are on. The hub caps are mounted to the stationary axles causing her to look as though she is sliding while the wheels are spinning. I think its friggin sweet! The fenders both got the stainless treatment as well as a new 1/8" custom grate. I felt the need to run one more test on a colder windy day to see how she would run. i didn't even bother to clean out the ash before firing her up. Check it out!

The grates...
0309091443.jpg

Grates and fenders..
IMG_1542.jpg

Grates, fenders, and wheels...
0309091450.jpg

Her solid temp through the test.
0309091624.jpg

Looking pretty real if I say so!
IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

For chits and giggles..
0309091627.jpg

I am pretty sure it would pull it without issues (ill knwo tomorrow when the battery charges) but stopping could be a problem!

Cooking will go on tomorrow. The wife took me out for Spring Break and her B-day.

-Brian

Back