Might have to change my opinion on huge briskets

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I’ve always tried to stay around 12 pounds for briskets. I’m not sure why, I think someone told me years ago that it was the perfect size. One of the grocery stores here had a coupon good for one brisket at $1.77/lb. When I went to check them out, they all had paper thin flats except for this big boy. I wasn’t even sure if I should buy it, but I did.

Less than $40 with the coupon, I figured if I hated it the worst that could happen is I have to use it for chili. So I smoked this one at the same time as a prime 10 pound brisket. Took 19 hours (vs 13 for the smaller one). I didn’t take any pics of the small one, but even though it was a lower grade, the 22 pounder ended up significantly juicier. I didn’t cut it up for eating immediately, I’m quick freezing the big pieces and vacuum sealing for later. We are the prime brisket for dinner and saved the leftovers.

dpezuoe_d.jpg

3zQOoAa_d.jpg

zdQ2kBe_d.jpg

https://imgur.com/pMD0VwI

That’s a big brisket, especially when you’re used to cooking ones on the smaller side. I’ve probably only cooked a handful over 20lbs. What temp were you cooking at?

Looks good! :thumb:

Looks good. Nobody here but me likes brisket. I get my fix at the bbq trailer in town. I've only cooked one in the last 10 years. :sad:

Looks good indeed. I recently did a 22.5 pounder. One of the best ever. No more worries on the biggens

We recently picked up a 20+ at HEB and was also a little worried about the outcome. Glad to hear positive results and comments. Can’t wait to cook now....

This is the point on a 19 pounder I just trimmed up. I'm not sure it classifies as "huge" under 20lbs, but it's definitely a bigun. Post trim I'm around 12.5lbs, and I bet the point makes up at least 5 pounds of it. I predict it'll cook up real nice :thumb:

Looks good. Nobody here but me likes brisket. I get my fix at the bbq trailer in town. I've only cooked one in the last 10 years. :sad:
That's why I cook ones as close to 10 pounds as I can get. Just enough for me to eat today, save a couple pounds for my daughter and freeze a little for a MSU meal.

Looks like you nailed that brisket!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why are the bigguns frowned upon? Coarser meat? Older cow?
I have asked this question multiple times. You would think a younger animal would be more tender but I'm no expert. I never get a response.

I don’t exactly know why the large ones are frowned upon. My assumption was that since the flat only gets slightly thicker on a really big one, it would be easier to dry it out while waiting for the giant point to cook. Didn’t turn out to be the case at all for this one.

I have asked this question multiple times. You would think a younger animal would be more tender but I'm no expert. I never get a response.

We all wouldn't want to get lit up by the Texans on our silly answers!....but what the heck.....Got a buddy that his dad runs about 1200 feeders per year. He only buys heifers to raise, say they won't eat as much as a steer and per lb make him better money because he doesn't have to give as much for them. Too me, they look smaller in size than a steer at the same age? I guess it might not have as much to do with the age of them? Thoughts?

We all wouldn't want to get lit up by the Texans on our silly answers!....but what the heck.....Got a buddy that his dad runs about 1200 feeders per year. He only buys heifers to raise, say they won't eat as much as a steer and per lb make him better money because he doesn't have to give as much for them. Too me, they look smaller in size than a steer at the same age? I guess it might not have as much to do with the age of them? Thoughts?
I thought I read or heard that heifers have more marbling.

Back