THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will be making Cochinata this Saturday. Going to do two pork shoulders using the Primal grill recipe. Hopefully I will have my Banana leaves here before Friday

Looks really good

I used banana leaves before. It doesn't do anything for me, but it looks really cool if you're doing it for family and friends.

Drool.gif

I will be making Cochinata this Saturday. Going to do two pork shoulders using the Primal grill recipe. Hopefully I will have my Banana leaves here before Friday

Looks really good

When you say that you hope you have your banana leaves by Friday, it makes me think that you are acquiring them via mail order. I just wanted to say that given your location (Elgin, IL) you should have little trouble tracking some down in a store in your general area.

I used to live in Elmhurst and I remember getting them a time or two at Caputo's Market. I am also pretty sure I found them either at a Dominick's or a Jewel once unexpectedly. They can be a pain to find sometimes, being in the freezer section and all, but you should be able to track some down with relative ease.

Hope it goes well for you!

Would be a nice change from my standard pulled pork

Good point. Not that BBQ pulled pork isn't tasty anymore, but my sweet tooth tends to get over used. I change it up because different flavors wake up my savory taste buds.

When you say that you hope you have your banana leaves by Friday, it makes me think that you are acquiring them via mail order. I just wanted to say that given your location (Elgin, IL) you should have little trouble tracking some down in a store in your general area.

I used to live in Elmhurst and I remember getting them a time or two at Caputo's Market. I am also pretty sure I found them either at a Dominick's or a Jewel once unexpectedly. They can be a pain to find sometimes, being in the freezer section and all, but you should be able to track some down with relative ease.

Hope it goes well for you!

I was just at caputo's looking for bitter orange, didn't have, but I did not even check to see if they had banana leave.

I guess I can check tomorrow on my way home from work.

Thanks

As for the banana leaves in general, yeah I was not thinking they would add a lot of taste or if any at all. But I figured it would make for a great way to present the dish at the party, instead of just an aluminum pan.

I was just at caputo's looking for bitter orange, didn't have, but I did not even check to see if they had banana leave.

Thanks

As for the banana leaves in general, yeah I was not thinking they would add a lot of taste or if any at all. But I figured it would make for a great way to present the dish at the party, instead of just an aluminum pan.

You can substitute a regular orange juice with fresh lime juice mixed in if you can't find the bitter orange.

Thanks

As I said before, they can be hard to find in the freezer section. If you do stop by and can't locate them, definitely ask an employee. I would almost guarantee you'll be able to score some there.

It is hard to say if the banana leaves impart any flavor in the dish. Most people would say no, and I guess I can't disagree. Still, the aroma from the leaves cooking is pretty hard to not notice, so it might add a slight taste variant to the dish. But yeah, the leaves make for a kick ass presentation which itself makes them worth buying when preparing it for company.

Be sure to post pics of your cook if you have the time. Would love to check it out. I am so getting hungry to make this again soon.

Back