Mesquite?

IMHO, mesquite isn't any stronger than the hickory we get down here. I use it pretty much exclusively for direct grilling steaks/burgers and smoking briskets. If weather conditions are making it hard to keep temps up in my offset, I will throw some in with the pecan I usually use for chicken and ribs. Never done pork butts with it, for some reason. I might throw a couple of chunks in the WSM next time just to see how it comes out. I recently did a big cook on the offset (ribs, brisket & chicken) with all hickory and two people thought the smoke flavor was too strong. They never complain about the mesquite smoked brisket though.

Some love it while others hate it. I love it and use it on most cooks. One thing for sure is you need a good hot clean burning fire.:thumb:

i use mesquite lump and mesquite sticks for the entire cook on everything. cheese, fish, veggies, chicken, pork, lamb, beef. never once has anything came out bitter. for the life of me i've never understood why people are so afraid of mesquite.

i use mesquite lump and mesquite sticks for the entire cook on everything. cheese, fish, veggies, chicken, pork, lamb, beef. never once has anything came out bitter. for the life of me i've never understood why people are so afraid of mesquite.

Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell them so it will be our secret and they won't buy up all the stuff. The less they use, the we will have. :thumb:

Back