Mesquite Brisket

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I have cooked a few dozen briskets on my 22"WSM mostly using charcoal briquets with Pecan or hickory chunks. I am not satisfied with my smokiness flavor and am ready to use mesquite for my next packer. I cook at 275 or above, i use salt and pepper with just a hint of Garlic.

Is mesquite going to be too strong or should I mix other wood.

Smoldering mesquite, by itself, is very strong. Burning in a stick burner (live fire) it's not so bad.

Either way, I mix it with Hickory when cooking beef.

I have found on my wsm...lump charcoal gives the best smoke profile. I use a B&B lump with pecan/oak/apple/cherry chunks....mix and match depending on the meat. Beef is pecan/oak. Pork and chicken.... pecan and one or two of the fruit woods. I have found I need to add wood chunks....every hour or so for the first 4 hours.

I use mesquite with beef when reverse searing steaks & tri-tips. A little goes a long way IMO. Just 1 chunk does it. For brisket, I’ll use 1 small split or a few large chunks with some oak on the Assassin. Adds a great flavor to beef but never used it with any other meats.

Was introduced to mesquite with beef about 20yrs ago when I was in Vegas & the wife & I walked into The Steak House at Circus Circus. The smell of that place & the flavor of the steaks hooked me…

I don't enjoy mesquite wood with beef at all. The few times it almost comes out to smoky and I feel like I'm eating beef jerky. Just my opinion though, the wife and MIL both thought it was great, haha.

Mesquite is awesome, especially with beef. It has fallen out of vogue over the years in favor of post oak but I still really enjoy it. The only caveat is that if the wood is still green in any way it can be strong. A lot of cooks in Texas burn it down to coals in a burn barrel before transferring to the main cooker. In a WSM setup I would think just a couple of chunks of mesquite would be plenty.

Ditto those who use smaller amounts. I cooked with mesquite commonly found in Texas Hill Country while living in New Braunfels / San Antonio. One can always add more on the next cook. Any kind of oak has been more forgiving or flexible than mesquite, IMO. It's like using a concentrate, burning down to coals before adding to smoker is like "diluting" the flavor. I would burn down to coals for use in WSM to gather some data points, then adjust up or down from there.

Back