Trying an SPL211 Pooper brisket tonite

Off at 12:15 - so 11:45 Pm to 12:15 pm - 12.5 hours.......... IT varied from 205* to 208*

Venting Now then into roaster on Warm for 5.5 -6 hours. Bark is Lighter........... will Slice about 6:30 - 7 pm

758CbJil.jpg

PID . ........ seen several say Pro mode allows temps to fluctuate more to increase smoke but doesn't really Help much.

My Pit Boss Pro also has a PID and a SMOKE mode. The first time I smoked some full spares I ran it in PID mode and it held temps steady as a rock but I was disappointed in the smoke prophile compared to my Ausin XL. The following weekend I smoked some more spares in SMOKE mode and once again the Pit held temps rock steady but the smoke prophile was a hell of alot better. Also like any Pit the more you use it the more seasoned it is the better the outcome. Have fun and enjoy!

Well.............. Not Too Shabby....... Smoke is Light but Not Nonexistent......I Like the SPL211 but put it on Too Heavy - when I wrapped brisket this morning a Large plate of crust flaked off - the whole top of the flat - but still had rub under it..... AND it is a little bit Salty but Not Bad ....I coat Heavy with other rubs but will have to coat more lightly with this one...........

qwSZZT4l.jpg

6MfZ8lll.jpg

GhhBus4l.jpg

It'd be worth doing Again with a lighter coat of this rub.........

I'm gonna try at 250* Next time with some wood chunks burning in a 1/4 stainless pan and see how that goes........

I Do think the Mesquite Pellets made a difference - they smelled Better and had a Stronger smell than the Oak/Hickory blend of the same brand - Bear Mountain.

OverAll Not Too Shabby :heh: but I like both the Gravity Fed and Stick Burner taste Better.....

Last edited:
Well.............. Not Too Shabby....... Smoke is Light but Not Nonexistent......I Like the SPL211 but put it on Too Heavy - when I wrapped brisket this morning a Large plate of crust flaked off - the whole top of the flat - but still had rub under it..... AND it is a little bit Salty but Not Bad ....I coat Heavy with other rubs but will have to coat more lightly with this one...........

qwSZZT4l.jpg

6MfZ8lll.jpg

GhhBus4l.jpg

It'd be worth doing Again with a lighter coat of this rub.........

I'm gonna try at 250* Next time with some wood chunks burning in a 1/4 stainless pan and see how that goes........

I Do think the Mesquite Pellets made a difference - they smelled Better and had a Stronger smell than the Oak/Hickory blend of the same brand - Bear Mountain.

OverAll Not Too Shabby :heh: but I like the Gravity Fed and Stick Burner taste Better.....

Looks great from here! The more you use the smoker the better it will get. And the more you dial in your “pellet” process the better it gets. Yes, sticks produce a better flavor, but with a little practice and pit seasoning I feel the gap closes.

I am far from an expert.

I run a smoke tube filled with the same pellets I am cooking with. Read somewhere on the internet that it helps so it must be true.

That brisket looks damn good to me.

Back