THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQpve

Knows what a fatty is.
Want to replace my POS Traeger. I’d been leaning towards the Mak 1 Star. I’ve always heard good things about Memphis, but thought they were too high priced. Now I’m seeing the Beale Street for the same price as the 1 Star. Thoughts about which is the better grill? The 12 lb hopper capacity on the Memphis seems small to me.

Never used wither. But both are great brands. IMnotalwaysHO, if you need more than 12 lbs of pellets for one cook, you need to stay at home.

Looks pretty close to the old Memphis Advantage, when I was looking 2 yrs ago the Advantage was more like $2400, price point was pretty close to the 2 Star at the time. I looked at the Advantage really hard along with the Fast Eddy's PG500 and 1 Star. From what I could gather from my research is the MAK was better at Smoking and the Memphis was better at high temp grilling. I'm sure I would have been happy with any of the 3 grills I was looking at but have no regrets or 2nd thoughts about my decision to buy the MAK.

Last year Memphis moved their production overseas, to some people that's a big deal to some it is not.

I love my USA made Memphis Pro, but the Beale is made in China and it sounds like they're moving all production there (although with the current events, I hope they reconsider). Go with the MAK.

Seems like your answer is always MAK. You must love ‘em. How’s the new SS 2 Star working?

Self-admittedly biased towards MAK for sure... lol. I do love my MAK... and am really enjoying the new 2 Star. Totally understand that they are not for everyone, and recognize that there are plenty of good options on the market (wood, charcoal, pellets and even gas). The MAK just happens to work very well for my needs :)

That's a lot of $ for a CN made grill, stainless or not. And what grade Stainless? I'd take a USA made MAK One * at that price. If I ever replace my GMG, I would strongly consider a MAK. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything consistently negative about a MAK or anything that hasn't been resolved.
If all you want is a smoker, Smokin Bros makes a nice grill with a great controller. But it's not a versatile as a MAK as it has no direct grill option. Also Made in US and not as expensive.

Seems like your answer is always MAK. You must love ‘em. How’s the new SS 2 Star working?

His answer is always MAK because he’s had more grills than I have pairs of socks!

He knows what work’s and what doesn’t, but you’ll never hear him be negative about another brand of grill...

You don’t have to like him, or his opinion, but he be positively optimistic!

Did you mean 304? I can’t imagine anyone using 430 on an outdoor product.
Nope, I meant 430. Unless you live near salt water, it would be fine. And if you're worried about the grade of stainless, then you're not looking at a MAK 1-Star. The majority of stainless used in common grills (like Weber) is 430.

The Memphis Pro is available in both 430 and 304. The Elite is 304.

Contrary to popular belief, whether stainless is austenitic or ferritic is no indication of quality.

His answer is always MAK because he’s had more grills than I have pairs of socks!

He knows what work’s and what doesn’t, but you’ll never hear him be negative about another brand of grill...

You don’t have to like him, or his opinion, but he be positively optimistic!

Who says I don’t like @rwalters? I do. Just pointing out that he is an unabashed MAK fan. Maybe he/we will get another group buy going and I can jump on the MAK bandwagon. If we got 10 or 9 + me, we can make it happen.

Who says I don’t like @rwalters? I do. Just pointing out that he is an unabashed MAK fan. Maybe he/we will get another group buy going and I can jump on the MAK bandwagon. If we got 10 or 9 + me, we can make it happen.

Reread my post, I made no assertion that you didn’t like him, I simply said you don’t “have to like him...”

Carry on...

It’s ok, my dogs like me... and even some days my wife and kids like me. Oh yeah, my MAK and I are pretty tight too... [emoji12]

Back